It’s amazing but almost 70% of drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for four years or more, and approximately 38% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Many consumers in Durham could save themselves $94 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t believe the large savings they would see if they bought a different policy.
The preferred way to get affordable car insurance rates in Durham is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies who sell insurance in North Carolina. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
- Gain an understanding of how insurance works and the steps you can take to prevent high rates. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as your driving record and a bad credit rating can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you’ll want to make sure you compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables a fair rate comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Affordable companies for Chevy City Express insurance in North Carolina
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in Durham, NC. If you want cheap auto insurance in Durham, NC, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Detailed insurance information
The table below highlights different insurance prices for Chevy City Express models. Understanding how auto insurance prices are figured can assist in making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|City Express Cargo 2500 2WD||$144||$262||$282||$16||$84||$788||$66|
|City Express Cargo 1500 2WD||$144||$318||$282||$16||$84||$844||$70|
|City Express Cargo 3500 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 2500 LT 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 2500 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 2500 LS 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 3500 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express Cargo 1500 AWD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 1500 LS 2WD||$166||$318||$282||$16||$84||$866||$72|
|City Express 1500 LS AWD||$166||$374||$282||$16||$84||$922||$77|
|City Express 1500 AWD||$166||$374||$282||$16||$84||$922||$77|
|City Express 1500 LT 2WD||$166||$374||$282||$16||$84||$922||$77|
|City Express Cargo 1500 Turbo Diesel 2WD||$166||$374||$282||$16||$84||$922||$77|
|City Express Cargo 2500 Turbo Diesel 2WD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express 3500 LT 2WD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express 3500 LS 2WD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express 3500 2WD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express 1500 LT AWD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express Cargo 3500 Turbo Diesel 2WD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|City Express Cargo 1500 Turbo Diesel AWD||$186||$374||$282||$16||$84||$942||$79|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in zip code location which can affect premiums greatly.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The chart below illustrates the difference between Chevy City Express auto insurance costs with and without full coverage. The data is based on no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no exact rule to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s say your Chevy City Express claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $8,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $800 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not financially feasible. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Get cheaper Chevy City Express insurance in Durham with discounts
Some companies don’t always advertise all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list both the well known as well as the least known ways to save on insurance. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be saving more on your insurance.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers take driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Accident-free drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Durham auto insurance quote than drivers with accidents.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Student in College – Older children living away from Durham attending college and don’t have a car may be able to be covered for less.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you could get a free insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy City Express insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The information is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, claim-free, marriage, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-car discounts applied.
Popular insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, military active duty, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for location of vehicle, multi-car, accident-free, type of vehicle, good driver, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for bundle discounts, early shopping, switch companies, multi-car, and mature driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance discounts include company car, teen driver, mature driver, anti-theft, and group or association.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for newly married, new move discount, new graduate, newly retired, new vehicle discount, teen driver discount, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for safe driver, teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, anti-theft, and drive less.
- Progressive has savings for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
- USAA has discounts for driver training, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, good student, safe driver, loyalty savings, and defensive driver.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in your state. To locate insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in North Carolina, click here.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agents
Certain consumers just want to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Experienced insurance agents can help you build your policy and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing rates online is that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this short form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork as quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking an insurance company is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Durham?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
If you need to find a local insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they function. Agents in Durham can either be independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either can provide car insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the differences since it can impact the selection process.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents write business for a single company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. A lot of people buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agents in Durham willing to provide rate quotes.
- Andy Jones – State Farm Insurance Agent
4519 N Roxboro St – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 477-0054 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Michael D. Maffeo
2705 N Duke St Ste 203 – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 479-5085 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Reginald Wright
2310 S Miami Blvd Ste 131 – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 484-2493 – View Map
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company and that allows them to write policies with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part. When comparing car insurance rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most independent agents also contract with mutual insurance companies which may have better rates.
Listed below are Durham independent insurance agencies that can give you rate quotes.
- Herring and Bickers Insurance
2344 Operations Dr Suite 101 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-9900 – View Map
- Knox Insurance Agency
200 Meredith Dr Suite 104 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 313-6411 – View Map
- Bowen Agency, Inc.
4905 Pine Cone Dr Suite 5 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 929-4222 – View Map
Cheaper car insurance rates are out there
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, an insured dropped collision coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Affordable Chevy City Express insurance in Durham can be bought both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not have online quoting and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, lack of trust in their agent or extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional detailed information is available by following these links:
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a School Permit in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much is Durham Car Insurance for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Durham Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)