If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to save money on car insurance rates in Durham is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies in North Carolina.
- Step 1: Get an understanding of individual coverages and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates like traffic citations and an unfavorable credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit a signed application and payment to the new company. Once coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A good tip to remember is that you use identical coverages on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as you can. This provides a fair price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
A study showed that nearly 70% of customers have bought insurance from the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Many consumers in Durham can save roughly 10% each year, but most just don’t grasp the actual amount they would save if they just switched companies.
How to get cheap Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance in Durham
To get cheaper Durham car insurance quotes, there a variety of ways of comparing rates from different Durham insurance companies. One of the best ways to find affordable Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance rates is to get quotes online.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more quotes helps you find the best offered rates.
The following companies have been selected to offer quotes in Durham, NC. In order to find cheap auto insurance in NC, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Companies offer money-saving discounts on Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance in Durham
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there are discounts available to cut the cost considerably. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Smart Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers can possibly qualify for better car insurance rates.
- Early Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Toyota could qualify for better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds who allow their car insurance company to analyze vehicle usage remotely such as State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few companies that have many of the previously listed discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Durham.
Insurance agent or online?
A small number of people would rather get advice from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this short form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Durham that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to find an agent as quotes are delivered to you. You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, you would need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Picking an insurance company requires more thought than just a low price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Which family members are covered?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- How long has their agency been in business in Durham?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
Two types of Durham auto insurance agents
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local insurance agency, there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Auto insurance agents are considered either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents partially due to loyalty to the company rather than low rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham who may provide you with comparison quotes.
- Andy Jones – State Farm Insurance Agent
4519 N Roxboro St – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 477-0054 – View Map
- Marty Lindsey – State Farm Insurance Agent
1852 Hillandale Rd – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-9671 – View Map
- Tracey Stidham – State Farm Insurance Agent
3622 Shannon Rd #102 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 401-6147 – View Map
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If your premiums go up, they simply move the coverage in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing auto insurance prices, you will want to get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison. Most also have access to lesser-known insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below are independent agencies in Durham willing to provide price quote information.
- Insurance People-N Carolina
1920 Front St # 750 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 383-0442 – View Map
- Marsh Dawson Insurance Agency
5410 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 484-8400 – View Map
- Insurance Pros: Paradis James
3200 Croasdaile Dr # 603 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 294-6613 – View Map
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When it comes to a policy for your personal vehicles, there really isn’t a single plan that fits everyone. You are unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Is my Toyota Rav4 Hybrid covered for smoke damage?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form.
Learn How to Find Insurance for Less
Lots of factors are considered when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but others are not quite as obvious like where you live or your commute time.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors companies use to determine your rate level.
Avoid unnecessary add-on coverages – There are many extra coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverage for things like replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and membership fees are examples of these. They may sound like good ideas when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so remove them from your policy.
Driver age impacts premiums – Inexperience drivers are proven to be careless and easily distracted when driving so insurance rates are higher. Older drivers are shown to be more cautious, file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
Alarm systems save money – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart thieves such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all aid in stopping auto theft.
Your liability protection limits – Liability insurance will provide protection if ever you are determined to be liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
High comp and collision deductibles equal low rates – Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, covers damage that occurs to your Toyota. Some coverage claims would be a dented fender, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles define the amount you are required to pay if you file a covered claim. The larger the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your insurance will be.
Why you need car insurance
Even though Durham Rav4 Hybrid insurance rates can get expensive, buying car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability protection in order to be legal. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Toyota with a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Toyota for a lot more money and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If your Toyota gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having car insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average driver in North Carolina overpays as much as $810 a year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Best car insurance company in Durham
Buying coverage from the top company can be difficult considering how many companies sell coverage in North Carolina. The company ratings shown next can help you pick which car insurance companies you want to consider buying from.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Overall
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
Shop smart and save
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, high rates after DUI convictions, unfair underwriting practices or even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is easier than you think.
More affordable auto insurance in Durham can be sourced online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies do not provide rate quotes online and these small insurance companies sell through independent agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an insured dropped collision coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)