Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that most consumers in North Carolina kept buying from the same company for over three years, and just under half have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers can cut their rates by $859 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they won’t spend time to compare other rate quotes.
Truthfully, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Durham is to regularly compare prices from insurers who provide auto insurance in North Carolina.
- Step 1: Read about what coverages are included in your policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
An essential thing to point out is to use the same deductibles and limits on every quote and and to analyze as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Companies offering low-cost BMW X1 price quotes in Durham, NC
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in North Carolina. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in NC, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Get cheaper rates on BMW X1 insurance in Durham with these ten insurance discounts
Buying insurance is not cheap, but you may qualify for discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Certain reductions will be credited at the time you complete a quote, but some discounts are required to be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you insure your home and vehicles and place coverage with the same company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving less can qualify you for cheaper rates.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings as much as 30%.
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you quote Durham car insurance with some insurance companies.
- Defensive Driving Course – Completing a course that instructs on driving safety could earn you a small percentage discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds who allow their company to look at where and when they drive by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car model can be considerably cheaper since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
Don’t be shocked that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, you aren’t that lucky.
Companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, multiple autos, multiple policy, good student, and good driver.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers includes discounts for driver training, hybrid/electric vehicle, new car, multi-car, and multi-policy.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver discount, multi-policy, new graduate, safety features, good student, newly married, and preferred payment discount.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in your area. If you would like to see a list of providers who offer discounts in Durham, follow this link.
Insurance agents can help
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- What is the minimum liability in North Carolina?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- What is glass protection for?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Local neighborhood Durham car insurance agents
Many drivers still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Once you complete this short form, your coverage information is sent to companies in Durham who want to provide quotes to get your business. You won’t need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. It’s the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right provider requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. Get answers to these questions too.
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Where are claims handled?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
If you’re trying to find a local Durham insurance agent, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Car insurance agents in Durham are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Agents of this type are contracted to one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some consumers prefer to use the same agent mainly due to the brand name rather than low price.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham willing to provide price quote information.
- Chuck Barham State Farm®
3823 Guess Rd – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 477-7300 – View Map
- Shawn Cockerham – State Farm Insurance Agent
5518 NC-55 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 316-3276 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Caufield Agency
4845 Industry Ln Ste D – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 493-7471 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not limited to a single company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing car insurance prices, you should always get rate quotes from several independent insurance agents for the best price selection. Many independent agencies also insure through smaller mutual companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Listed below is a list of independent agencies in Durham that can give you price quote information.
- Joshua E. Matthews Insurance Agency, Inc.
2144 Page Rd Suite 106 – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 598-6800 – View Map
- Protective Agency
4215 University Dr #1 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 416-4900 – View Map
- Triangle Insurance Alliance
2530 Meridian Pkwy #300 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 322-3640 – View Map
Specific coverage details
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement.
Auto liability insurance
This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show limits of 30/60/25 that means you have a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, $60,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage pays for claims like medical services, attorney fees, court costs, structural damage and medical expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. North Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Medical costs insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses such as nursing services, pain medications, hospital visits, funeral costs and EMT expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things such as hitting a mailbox, colliding with a tree, colliding with another moving vehicle and backing into a parked car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also increase the deductible on your X1 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your BMW X1.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (North Carolina limits are 30/60/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from getting keyed, hail damage and falling objects. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Insurance savings summarized
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, policy cancellation and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company is not as hard as you think.
Budget-conscious BMW X1 insurance can be purchased from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Durham, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who do not provide rates over the internet and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to save on BMW X1 insurance in Durham. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Durham car insurance, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the lowest prices come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Veterans in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Honda CR-V in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Drivers Under 25 in Durham? (FAQ)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)