Being forced to pay for overpriced car insurance premiums can draw down your bank account and require stricter spending habits.
Unbelievable but true, most car insurance buyers have remained with the same car insurance company for at least four years, and nearly the majority have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. Many drivers in North Carolina can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most undervalue the big savings they would realize if they moved their coverage to a different company.
How to save money on Honda CR-Z insurance in Durham
The preferred way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to regularly compare prices from companies who sell auto insurance in Durham. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
First, spend some time learning about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can take to keep rates down. Many rating factors that result in higher rates such as traffic violations and an unacceptable credit history can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
Second, obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One piece of advice is to try to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
People have multiple insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, more options can take longer to adequately compare rates for Honda CR-Z insurance in Durham.
Affordable Honda insurance price quotes in Durham
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in North Carolina. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in NC, we suggest you click on several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Save money with these discounts on Honda CR-Z insurance in Durham
Some insurers do not advertise all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list some of the best known and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are throwing money away.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies offer discounts for switching companies prior to your current CR-Z insurance policy expiring. You may see this discount when you get Durham auto insurance quotes online.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
- Military Discounts – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower prices.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying a policy with multiple cars or trucks on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Distant Student – Youth drivers living away from Durham attending college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save a little off the medical payments premium.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
If you would like to see a list of providers with discount rates in Durham, click here.
What Determines Honda CR-Z Insurance Rates?
Many factors are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, although some other factors are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
- Low coverage deductibles mean high prices – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your Honda from damage. Examples of covered claims are a broken side mirror, vandalism, and burglary. Your deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less money you will pay for auto insurance.
- Save by driving less – Driving a lot of miles every year the more you’ll pay to insure it. A lot of companies calculate prices based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars that are left in the garage receive better premium rates than those used for commuting. Double check that your vehicle rating states the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. An improperly rated CR-Z is throwing money out the window.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up rates – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you should expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Car insurance companies in North Carolina give better rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Get a ticket, pay higher costs – Even one moving violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Attentive drivers have lower premiums compared to bad drivers. Drivers who have gotten flagrant violations like reckless driving or DUI are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Insurance losses for a Honda CR-Z – Insurers use historical loss data as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that have higher claim amounts or frequency will have higher rates.
The table below illustrates the historical loss data for Honda CR-Z vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is set at 100. Numbers below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values that are above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Honda CR-Z Vehicles Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda CR-Z Hybrid 106 87 83 98BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Many people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheaper rates and still buy from a local agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to participating agents in Durham who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent to you. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in North Carolina?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
When searching for a local insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they work. Auto insurance policy providers can either be independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Durham that can give you price quote information.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you will want to get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below are independent agents in Durham that are able to give price quote information.
Upon getting positive feedback and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Best car insurance company in North Carolina
Ending up with a highly-rated car insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Durham. The company information listed below can help you select which auto insurance companies to look at buying from.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Overall
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Don’t give up on affordable coverage
Lower-priced car insurance in Durham is attainable from both online companies in addition to many Durham insurance agents, so you need to quote Durham auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not offer online price quotes and usually these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent agencies.
While you’re price shopping online, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
How to save money on Honda CR-Z insurance in Durham
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Durham is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies in North Carolina.
- Read and learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates like accidents, traffic violations, and a negative credit score can be improved by paying attention to minor details.
- Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One thing to remember is to compare the same deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get rates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at these sites:
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Teachers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Mazda CX-7 in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Durham? (FAQ)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)