A recent survey discovered that most North Carolina car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. U.S. drivers could save an average of $859 each year, but they don’t know how much they could save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Truthfully, the best way to find cheaper quotes for car insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers who provide auto insurance in Durham. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- First, get an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the things you can change to drop your rates. Many things that result in higher rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and an unacceptable credit rating can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers. View prices
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in Durham. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. Make sure you put the certificate verifying coverage with your registration paperwork.
One thing to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare similar coverage information on every quote request and and to compare as many car insurance companies as possible. This helps ensure a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Best companies for affordable Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance in North Carolina
The companies in the list below provide price quotes in North Carolina. In order to find cheap car insurance in Durham, NC, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Eight Things That Influence Your Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, although others are more transparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
Shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by your company to calculate your rates.
Do you have a high stress job? – Jobs such as doctors, executives, and financial analysts tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of intense work situations and incredibly demanding work hours. On the other hand, occupations such as actors, students and performers receive lower rates.
Limits of liability – Liability insurance will protect you if a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense to defend your case. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
File claims and pay more – Auto insurance companies in North Carolina provide lower rates to people that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you file claims often, you can look forward to higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Traffic violations drive up costs – Good drivers get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single chargeable violation can increase the cost of insurance by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have gotten license-revoking violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to prove financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
See if your company offers a multi-policy discount – Some insurers apply discounts to insureds that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can add up to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates. You may still save more without the discount by buying insurance from more than one company.
High performance equals high premiums – The performance level of the vehicle you need to insure makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The best insurance prices are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Reduce rates by driving cars with good safety ratings – Safer cars get lower rates. The safest vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates. If your Toyota has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
Which gender costs less? – Statistics demonstrate that females tend to be a little less risky than males. It does not mean females are better drivers. Both genders get in fender benders in similar numbers, but men cause more damage. They also get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 have the highest risk to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
Loss statistics for a Toyota Avalon Hybrid – Auto insurance companies use data from past claims when determining insurance costs. Vehicles that historically have increased claim numbers or amounts will cost more for coverage.
The data below shows the actual insurance loss data for Toyota Avalon Hybrid vehicles. For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is a value of 100. Values below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota Avalon Hybrid||120||72||132||107||85||80|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Companies offer many discounts on Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance in Durham
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their auto insurance company to scrutinize where and when they drive by installing a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Clubs and Organizations – Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization could trigger savings on your bill.
- Theft Deterrent – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Early Switch Discount – Some auto insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to the expiration date on your current Avalon Hybrid insurance policy. You could save around 10% when you buy Durham car insurance online.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple cars with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- New Car Discount – Buying a new car model can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
It’s important to note that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A few of the larger companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- GEICO offers discounts for emergency military deployment, military active duty, anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, and anti-theft.
- Travelers may offer discounts for home ownership, student away at school, IntelliDrive, hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, continuous insurance, and save driver.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including business or organization, multi-policy, accident-free, family plan, good student, anti-theft, and Farm Bureau membership.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for good student, business and professional, electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, early shopping, and teen driver.
- Esurance discounts include multi-car, Pac-12 alumni, good driver, defensive driver, anti-theft, and good student.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for safe vehicle, good driver, anti-theft, good student, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive includes discounts for online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, good student, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including low natural disaster claims, type of vehicle, multi-car, multi-policy, and ease of repair.
If you are trying to find the cheapest Toyota Avalon Hybrid rate quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in your area. To choose providers that offer some of these discounts in Durham, click here to view.
Do I need an insurance agency?
A lot of people still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Licensed agents are trained risk managers and help file insurance claims. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local agencies is important especially in Durham.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Durham who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When finding a reliable agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance policy providers can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can sell insurance policies, but we need to point out the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact buying decisions.
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they can write business through many different insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured. When searching for an agent, you definitely need to get some free quotes from a few independent agents for maximum quote selection. They often place coverage with different regional companies which could offer lower prices.
The following are independent insurance agents in Durham that may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
- George Stevens Insurance Inc
1320 Hill St – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 403-3611 – View Map
- The Sorgi Insurance Agency
16 Consultant Pl Suite 102 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 682-4814 – View Map
- Superior Insurance of Durham
3825 S Roxboro St #118 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 224-8034 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents are contracted to one company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents receive extensive training in insurance sales which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the brand name rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are exclusive agents in Durham that can give you price quote information.
- Chuck Barham State Farm®
3823 Guess Rd – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 477-7300 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: All About Insurance
2605 Guess Rd – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-8200 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Michael D. Maffeo
2705 N Duke St Ste 203 – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 479-5085 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Durham?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- How are they compensated?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
Best car insurance company in Durham
Selecting the best insurance company is difficult considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Durham. The company ratings displayed below could help you select which auto insurers to look at comparing price quotes from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
How to know if you need help
Always remember that when buying a policy, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Toyota Avalon Hybrid to commute?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in North Carolina?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- What is the ISO rating for a Toyota Avalon Hybrid?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
You can lower your car insurance rates
Lower-priced Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance in Durham can be found from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Durham car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some car insurance companies may not offer online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
You just read many ideas to reduce Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance premium rates online in Durham. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest premium rates are with a small local company.
More tips and info about car insurance is available at these sites:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Mazda CX-7 in Durham? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)