It’s well known that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Drivers who shop around for the cheapest price are likely to switch companies because there is a high probability of finding a lower-priced policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved as much as $865 a year compared to policyholders who never shopped around.
If finding low prices for Chevy Tahoe insurance is your objective, knowing how to choose a company and compare car insurance can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
Truthfully, the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from different companies that insure vehicles in Durham. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
First, read about car insurance and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit history can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to compare identical coverage information on each quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
The quickest method to get rate comparisons for Chevy Tahoe insurance in Durham is to take advantage of the fact car insurance companies participate in a system to give rate comparisons. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details like driver ages, if you are currently licensed, how much education you have, and your credit rating estimate. The data is then sent to multiple companies and they provide comparison quotes very quickly.
To get price quotes for your car now, click here and enter the information requested.
The car insurance companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Durham, NC. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Durham, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Three reasons car insurance is important
Despite the high insurance cost for a Chevy Tahoe in Durham, paying for car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will force you to carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Chevy. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having car insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $830 a year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Chevy Tahoe insurance charts and tables
The coverage table shown next highlights estimates of insurance costs for Chevy Tahoe models. Learning how car insurance prices are calculated can help customers make informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$116||$234||$302||$18||$90||$760||$63|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$132||$234||$302||$18||$90||$776||$65|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$132||$234||$302||$18||$90||$776||$65|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$132||$234||$302||$18||$90||$776||$65|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$132||$276||$302||$18||$90||$818||$68|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$132||$276||$302||$18||$90||$818||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can influence premium rates significantly.
The diagram below demonstrates how deductible levels and can influence Chevy Tahoe yearly insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The premium estimates are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Tickets and at-fault accidents raise rates
The information below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders drive up Chevy Tahoe car insurance costs for each age group. The information is based on a married female driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Tahoe annual premium costs with full coverage compared to only the North Carolina minimum liability coverage. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule to stop buying physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevy Tahoe claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $800 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Cheap Durham auto insurance rates with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but some discounts are required to be asked about before being credited.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Online Discount – A few insurance companies may give you up to $50 get Durham car insurance on the internet.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning a house in Durham can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Distant Student – Kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Durham and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Having several vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic. But any discount should help reduce the cost of coverage.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Tahoe annual premium costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The information is based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-car, multi-policy, and marriage discounts applied.
For a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Durham, click here to view.
You are unique and your insurance should be too
When quoting and choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my Chevy Tahoe covered if I use it for business?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in North Carolina?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.