How long has it been since the last time you looked for low-cost Chevy Colorado insurance in Durham? Finding cheaper insurance for a Chevy Colorado in North Carolina can turn out to be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to make it easier.
There are more efficient ways to find insurance online and we'll show you the best way to quote coverages on a Chevy and get the lowest possible price from both online companies and Durham agents.
A recent survey discovered that the vast majority of North Carolina insurance customers have been with the same company for over three years, and nearly the majority have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Many drivers in the U.S. could save an average of $860 each year just by comparing rates, but they just don't understand how easy it is to compare rates.
Why You Might Pay Inflated Rates in Durham
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that are used to determine car insurance rates. If you know what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices. Many factors are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating.
Better credit means lower prices - Your credit history is likely to be a major factor in calculating your premium rate. Consumers who have very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit scores. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Chevrolet Colorado by spending a little time repairing your credit.
Get hitched and get better premiums - Being married can actually save you money when shopping for car insurance. Having a significant other may mean you are more financially stable and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Gender as a rate factor - Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. It does not mean females are better at driving than males. Females and males have auto accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Colorado yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no accidents, no driving violations, full coverage, $100 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Cautious drivers pay lower rates - Having just one ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Attentive drivers get better prices than bad drivers. People who have serious violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 form with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
The information below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault collisions influence Chevy Colorado auto insurance rates for each age group. The prices are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
If you don't need it don't buy it - There are a ton of extra coverages that can waste your money on your Colorado policy. Things like roadside assistance, towing, and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Stay claim-free and lower car insurance rates - Insurance companies in North Carolina provide cheaper rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Car insurance policy lapses increase car insurance rates - Having a gap between insurance policy dates will be a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage will get you fines and jail time. You will then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the North Carolina DMV.
Insurance loss data for Chevy Colorado vehicles - Insurers include the past claim trends for vehicles when they calculate premium prices for each model. Models that are shown to have higher frequency or amount of claims will cost more for coverage. The table below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy Colorado vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is represented as 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more losses or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2WD||73||57||64|
|Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4WD||90||89||86||67|
|Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 2WD||55|
|Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 4WD||67|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
The following companies have been selected to offer comparison quotes in North Carolina. To buy the best car insurance in NC, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
The premium information shown below highlights detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Chevy Colorado models. Understanding more about how auto insurance premiums are figured can help customers make informed decisions when shopping around for a new policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$138||$262||$254||$16||$76||$746||$62|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$162||$318||$254||$16||$76||$826||$69|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$162||$262||$216||$12||$64||$716||$60|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$162||$318||$254||$16||$76||$826||$69|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$162||$262||$216||$12||$64||$716||$60|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$318||$216||$12||$64||$796||$66|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can raise or lower rates significantly.
The example below demonstrates how deductible levels and can increase or decrease Chevy Colorado insurance costs for each different age category. The premiums are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Colorado, most banks will require that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. As of last year, the average driver in North Carolina overpays as much as $855 a year so we recommend shopping around each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
These discounts can reduce Chevy Colorado insurance rates
Some companies don't list the entire discount list very well, so the following list contains both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Durham auto insurance online.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Sign Online - Some of the larger companies will give you a small discount for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Theft Deterrent - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and will qualify for a discount on a Durham auto insurance quote.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you could save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Buy New and Save - Buying a new car instead of a used Colorado may earn a small discount because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Membership in Organizations - Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Student in College - College-age children who are attending college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
The chart below compares Chevy Colorado insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no claims, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Progressive includes discounts for homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- The Hartford discounts include good student, vehicle fuel type, air bag, defensive driver, anti-theft, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include low natural disaster claims, professional/association, multi-car, good driver, ease of repair, and anti-theft.
- GEICO offers discounts for anti-theft, daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, federal employee, seat belt use, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA has savings for anti-theft, good student, multi-car, good driver, pay-in-full, and education and occupation.
- State Farm may include discounts for accident-free, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, student away at school, defensive driving training, and good driver.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in your area.
What if I want to buy from local Durham auto insurance agents?
Many people just want to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing rates online is you may find cheap insurance rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agents is still important in Durham.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Durham who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you wish to compare rates from a particular provider, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a local Durham insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different agency structures and how they work. Insurance policy providers may be either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can handle insurance, but it's a good idea to understand why they differ since it may influence which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents are not employed by one company and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing rates, you need to get rate quotes from multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection. Most independent agents also contract with mutual insurance companies which may have better rates.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Durham that may be able to give you rate quotes.
- The Insurance Pros, Inc.
1210 Cole Mill Rd Suite 101 - Durham, NC 27705 - (919) 294-6613 - View Map
- George Stevens Insurance Inc
1320 Hill St - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 403-3611 - View Map
- Protective Agency
4215 University Dr #1 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 416-4900 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some people will only use the same agent primarily because of high brand loyalty rather than low price.
The following are Durham exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
- Leslie Robinson State Farm Insurance
105 W North Carolina 54 #263 - Durham, NC 27713 - (919) 206-5096 - View Map
- Ken Carver - State Farm Insurance Agent
2905 Guess Rd #2 - Durham, NC 27705 - (919) 471-0011 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Ava Brownlee
14 Consultant Pl Ste 150 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 490-6667 - View Map
Selecting an insurance agent should include more criteria than just the price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
After getting reasonable responses to your questions and a low price estimate, you may have found an insurance agency that will service your policy. But keep in mind policyholders can terminate your policy whenever you wish so never feel that you're stuck with a specific company for the full policy term.
Do the work, save more money
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to get a better price on Chevy Colorado insurance in Durham. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
More affordable insurance in Durham can be bought from both online companies and with local Durham insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies don't offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Steps to finding affordable Chevy Colorado insurance in Durham
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get discount Chevy Colorado insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers in Durham.
First, it will benefit you to learn about policy coverages and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many risk factors that result in higher rates such as inattentive driving and a not-so-good credit rating can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple sources. View insurance agents
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to analyze as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Good Students in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota 4Runner in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Lyft Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)