It's an obvious assumption that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. People who rate shop once a year will most likely switch companies because they have a good chance of finding a more affordable policy. A study showed that drivers who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved an average of $865 a year as compared to drivers who don't make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the lowest rates on car insurance is your objective, learning the best way to compare insurance premiums can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
The easiest way to get budget auto insurance rates in Durham is to regularly compare prices from insurers who sell auto insurance in North Carolina.
- Take a little time to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the things you can change to keep rates low. Many things that result in higher rates like traffic citations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing rates to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of this process is to make sure you're comparing similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
Where can I get low cost Durham Chevy Traverse insurance?
To find affordable Durham auto insurance quotes, there are several ways to compare prices from many insurance companies in North Carolina. The fastest way to find the lowest Chevy Traverse rates involves getting comparison quotes online.
Getting rates online is very simple and it makes it a waste of time to go to insurance agents' offices. Comparing Chevy Traverse insurance rate quotes online eliminates the middleman unless you have a need for the advice and guidance of a licensed agent. Some companies do allow you to get the lowest quotes online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
When comparison shopping, more quotes increases your odds of finding more affordable rates.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in North Carolina. In order to find cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we recommend you visit several of them to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
Verify you're earning every discount
Some insurance providers don't necessarily list all discounts very clearly, so below is a list some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Drive Less and Save - Low annual miles could be rewarded with cheaper rates.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Distant College Student Discount - Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Options like air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Buy New and Save - Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Multiple Cars - Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Early Signing - Select insurance companies give a discount for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Traverse insurance policy. The savings is around 10%.
Policy discounts save money, but some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
The example below shows the difference between Chevy Traverse auto insurance costs with and without some available policy discounts. The costs are based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
Insurance companies that may offer these money-saving discounts include:
If you want affordable Chevrolet Traverse insurance quotes, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some credits might not apply in Durham. If you would like to choose from a list of companies who offer discounts in North Carolina, follow this link.
Statistics and details
The coverage information displayed below highlights different coverage prices for Chevy Traverse models. Learning how rate quotes are established is important for you to make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Traverse LS 2WD||$166||$262||$222||$14||$66||$730||$61|
|Traverse LS AWD||$186||$262||$222||$14||$66||$750||$63|
|Traverse LT 2WD||$186||$262||$222||$14||$66||$750||$63|
|Traverse LT AWD||$186||$318||$222||$14||$66||$806||$67|
|Traverse LTZ 2WD||$186||$318||$222||$14||$66||$806||$67|
|Traverse LTZ AWD||$186||$318||$222||$14||$66||$806||$67|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can impact rates substantially.
The information below demonstrates how deductible levels and can raise or lower Chevy Traverse insurance prices for each different age category. The rates are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Rate comparison of men versus women in Durham
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Traverse insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Does full coverage make sense?
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Traverse car insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, $250 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no set guideline that works best for making the decision to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Chevy Traverse replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $2,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not remove full coverage.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Rates
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that are used to determine the price you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you cheaper rates.
- Insure car and home with the same company - Most major insurance companies provide lower prices for people who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can be as much as ten percent or more Even if you already get this discount, consumers should still compare Chevy Traverse rates in Durham to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- High coverage deductibles lower premiums - Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of covered claims are a dented fender, flood damage, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Your deductibles represent how much money the insured will be required to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Long commutes cost more - The more you drive each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. The majority of insurers price each vehicle's coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos not used for work or commuting cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. Having the wrong rating on your Traverse can result in significantly higher rates. Double check that your auto insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Don't cancel your coverage without a new one in place - Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse can be a quick way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher premiums, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the North Carolina DMV.
- Job and insurance prices - Jobs such as military generals, executives, and stock brokers tend to pay higher rates than average attributed to intense work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, professions such as actors, athletes and retirees receive lower rates.
- Too many policy claims drive up prices - If you are a frequent claim filer, you shouldn't be surprised to get higher rates. Auto insurance companies in North Carolina give cheaper rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of claims that pose a financial burden.
- Save money with alarm systems - Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can earn a premium discount. Advanced theft deterrents like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop your car from being stolen.
Get a ticket, pay higher costs - Careful drivers receive lower rates as compared to those with violations. Even a single citation may increase your cost by as much as twenty percent. Drivers unfortunate enough to have severe tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
The information below shows how violations and accident claims can drive up Chevy Traverse car insurance costs for different insured age categories. The information is based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Insurance loss statistics a Chevy Traverse - Companies use past insurance losses when they set coverage costs for each model. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher number or severity of losses will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Traverse vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is considered to be 100. Values that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or tendency to have larger claims.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Traverse Models Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Traverse 4dr 2WD 75 101 72 93 90 90 Chevrolet Traverse 4dr 4WD 72 91 82 78 76 78BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years