It’s an obvious statement that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes are likely to switch companies because they stand a good chance of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A survey found that people who made a habit of comparing rates saved $3,500 over four years compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest price for auto insurance is the reason you’re here, knowing the best way to compare coverages can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get low-cost Lexus GS 200t insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from insurers who provide auto insurance in Durham.
- First, get a basic knowledge of how insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates such as traffic violations and an unacceptable credit history can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find better rates and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you enter the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
This article’s intent is to help you learn the best ways to compare prices. If you have insurance now, you should be able to reduce premiums using this strategy. Nevertheless, North Carolina car owners need to have an understanding of how big insurance companies price insurance differently and use this information to your advantage.
The quickest way to get policy rate comparisons for Lexus GS 200t insurance in Durham utilizes the fact auto insurance companies allow for online access to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is provide details including how much school you completed, marital status, if you are currently licensed, and if it has an anti-theft system. Your information is instantly submitted to insurance carriers in your area and they return quotes very quickly.
To compare rates for your Lexus GS 200t now, click here and complete the form.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Durham, NC. To get the best car insurance in NC, we recommend you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Slash rates with these discounts
Some insurance providers do not list every discount they offer very well, so the list below contains a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find discounts that may be available.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Buy New and Save – Buying car insurance coverage on a new vehicle can save you some money since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Durham Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can save a few bucks since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have several vehicles on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Theft Deterrent – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- E-sign – Many larger companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on your computer.
- Data Collection Discounts – Durham drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to monitor when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
Popular car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm has savings for Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, good student, student away at school, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- Travelers offers discounts for student away at school, driver training, IntelliDrive, save driver, and payment discounts.
- American Family may include discounts for bundled insurance, early bird, accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include teen driver discount, multi-car, safety features, new graduate, newly married, and new vehicle discount.
When quoting, ask every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in every state. To see providers who offer cheap Lexus GS 200t insurance quotes in Durham, click this link.
Should I get advice from an insurance agency?
Some consumers still like to sit down and talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates and still have a local agent. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Durham.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is sent to insurance agents in Durham who will give you bids for your business. You won’t need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. You can find better rates AND a local agent. If you need to compare rates from a specific insurance company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
When researching a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies to choose from. Car insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company and that gives them the ability to insure with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent. When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to get some free quotes from at least one independent agent to maximize your price options.
Featured below are Durham independent agents who may be able to give you price quote information.
Reliable Insurance Agency of North Carolina Inc.
3325 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd #200 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 864-9048 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Durham willing to provide rate quotes.
Choosing an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Any good agent in Durham should know the answers to these questions.
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
Upon receiving good responses to any questions you may have and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that can be relied on to insure your vehicles.
How much car insurance do I need?
Always remember that when buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions might point out if you would benefit from professional advice.
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in North Carolina?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Durham Insurance Premiums are Influenced by These Factors
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, although others are more obscure like your continuous coverage or your commute time. A large part of saving on insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that help determine the rates you pay for insurance. If you know what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to better insurance rates.
The itemized list below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine rates.
- Safer cars means cheaper insurance rates – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to be cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates directly to fewer claims and thus lower rates.
- Consider raising comp and collision deductibles – Physical damage insurance, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your Lexus from damage. A few examples of covered claims are a broken windshield, hitting a deer, and burglary. Comp and collision deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend if the claim is covered. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Pay more for higher performance vehicles – The type of vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a huge difference in your rates. The cheapest rates tend to be for small economy passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Gender as a rate factor – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. It does not mean women are better drivers. Males and females cause fender benders at about the same rate, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also have more aggressive citations like driving under the influence (DUI).
- Traffic violations cost more than a fine – Drivers with clean records receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Getting just one driving citation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Drivers who have gotten serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Infrequent drivers can save – Driving more miles each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies charge rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars left parked in the garage can be on a lower rate level than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It’s always a good idea to double check that your insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money. A policy that improperly rates your GS 200t may be wasting your money.
- Never let your insurance policy lapse – Not having insurance is illegal and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your coverage have a gap. In addition to paying higher rates, getting caught without coverage could earn you fines or a revoked license.
Insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Lexus GS 200t insurance, paying for insurance is required in North Carolina but it also protects you in many ways.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your GS 200t, more than likely the lender will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Lexus for a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying more than $825 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheaper car insurance is a realistic goal
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Cheap Lexus GS 200t insurance in Durham is attainable on the web and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund or delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional learning opportunities
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Learners Permit in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Durham? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)