Sad but true, the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and just short of a majority have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Durham consumers can save as much as $100 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate the actual amount they would save if they bought a different policy.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to quote cheaper car insurance rates in Durham is to start doing an annual price comparison from providers who provide car insurance in North Carolina.
- Step 1: Try to understand car insurance and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a bad credit score can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
A tip to remember is to compare identical coverages on each quote and and to look at as many companies as you can. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
Choosing the best rates in Durham is actually quite easy if you know where to start. Nearly every car owner who comparison shops for auto insurance will get better rates. Although North Carolina drivers must understand how the larger insurance companies determine how much to charge because it varies considerably.
Do you qualify for discounts on Mercury Sable insurance in Durham?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all possible discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous car insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Durham auto insurance quote.
- Driver Education Discount – Have your child successfully take a driver’s education course if it’s offered in school.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of qualifying employment or professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a certain period of time.
- Telematics Devices – Drivers that enable companies to look at driving patterns remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- 55 and Retired – Seniors can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your auto and home insurance with one company you could get a discount of up to 20% and get you low cost Mercury Sable insurance.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
It’s important to note that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To view companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in North Carolina, click this link.
Just keep in mind that comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding a lower rate than you’re paying now. Not every company provides online Durham Sable insurance quotes, so it’s important to compare quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in North Carolina. If you want cheaper car insurance in North Carolina, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why Your Insurance Costs might be higher
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that go into determining your premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs. Lots of things are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
Decrease premiums by maintaining coverage – Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
More traffic means higher claims – Choosing to live in less populated areas is a positive aspect when buying car insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Residents of big cities have more road rage incidents and longer commutes to work. More time behind the wheel means higher likelihood of an accident.
Annual miles impacts rates – The higher the miles on your Mercury every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage receive lower rates than those that get driven frequently. It’s a smart idea to ensure your vehicle rating is rated on the proper vehicle usage. Incorrect rating for your Sable can result in significantly higher rates.
Improve your credit score and save – A driver’s credit score will be a significant factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Mercury Sable by improving your credit score. People with excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have bad credit.
Lower premiums for cars with good safety ratings – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies which can mean better rates for you. If your Mercury Sable scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to the best car insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions might point out whether or not you may require specific advice.
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in North Carolina?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
When to talk to an insurance agency
Certain consumers still like to sit down with an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain cheaper rates and also buy local.
By using this quick form, your information is submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. Get lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, just navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just the premium amount. Get answers to these questions too.
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Durham?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
Listed below are agents in Durham that may be willing to give rate quotes for Mercury Sable insurance in Durham.
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Ella Latreille
2005 N Pointe Dr Ste 3 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-2077 – View Map
- Rollie Olin – State Farm Insurance Agent
4810 Hope Valley Rd #116 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 489-6008 – View Map
- Tracey Stidham – State Farm Insurance Agent
3622 Shannon Rd #102 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 401-6147 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Cody Holliday
4324 S Alston Ave – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 249-7291 – View Map
If you receive positive responses to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance company that meets the criteria to adequately provide insurance. But remember, you are able to terminate your policy at any time so don’t feel that you are obligated to a specific agent with no way out.
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Durham, car insurance serves several important purposes.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability in order to license the vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Mercury Sable, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender will be forced to insure your Mercury at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Smart shoppers get results
We’ve covered many ways to shop for Mercury Sable insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Durham auto insurance, the higher your chance of finding low cost Durham auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
The cheapest Mercury Sable insurance in Durham can be purchased on the web and from local agencies, so you need to shop Durham auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not provide internet price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent agents.
Drivers switch companies for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, policy non-renewal, delays in responding to claim requests and not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, switching insurance companies is easier than you think.
More detailed insurance information is available in these articles:
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Sonata in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much are Durham Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Tacoma in Durham? (FAQ)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)