It’s a fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Consumers who get price comparisons are likely to buy a different policy because the odds are good of finding better rates. A recent insurance study revealed that consumers who shopped around saved approximately $865 a year compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding discount rates on car insurance is the reason for your visit, then knowing how to choose a company and compare insurance can save time, money, and frustration.
The recommended way to find affordable quotes for Subaru B9 Tribeca insurance is to compare prices regularly from different companies who can sell car insurance in Durham.
- Get an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many things that drive up the price such as speeding tickets, careless driving and an unacceptable credit history can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and determine if cheaper B9 Tribeca coverage is available in Durham. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed application and payment for your new coverage. As soon as coverage is bound, place the new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
One thing to point out is to use similar limits and deductibles on every quote and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Cheap auto insurance in Durham, NC
The providers in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Durham, NC. To find cheap car insurance in Durham, NC, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Get discounts on Durham car insurance
Some companies do not advertise every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Durham car insurance online.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching defensive driver skills could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Organization Discounts – Being in certain professional organizations can get you a small discount on car insurance.
- Pay Early and Save – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Paperless Signup – Some car insurance companies provide a small discount just for signing your application over the internet.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to track driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm’s In-Drive could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates as compared to drivers with claims.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts include:
- State Farm has discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, multiple policy, multiple autos, anti-theft, driver’s education, and accident-free.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including DriveSense, emergency road assistance, Pac-12 alumni, online shopper, homeowner, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, and online signing.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for exclusive group savings, good student, new graduate, new vehicle discount, hybrid vehicle, and multi-car.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for air bags, good student, paid in full, anti-lock brakes, and safe vehicle.
- GEICO offers discounts including defensive driver, multi-policy, daytime running lights, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, good student, and air bags.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all the companies which discounts they offer. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in your state. To find companies that offer many of these discounts in Durham, click here.
Smart Consumers Know How to Get Car Insurance at a Discount
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, although some other factors are more obscure such as your credit history or your commute time. Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that are used to determine the rates you pay for car insurance. If you know what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Car and home together may be cheaper – Many insurance companies allow lower prices to buyers who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be ten percent or more. Even with this discount, it’s always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money.
Car insurance rates and your occupation – Jobs such as military personnel, executives, and financial analysts tend to pay higher premium rates because of intense work situations and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, careers like farmers, engineers and homemakers receive lower rates.
Increase deductibles and save – Your deductibles tell how much the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims are rear-ending another vehicle, animal collisions, and having a roll-over accident. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Lower premiums for safer vehicles – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have lower insurance rates. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Subaru B9 Tribeca is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov you may be receiving a better rate.
Prices go up with performance – The make and model of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. The cheapest insurance rates tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Policy add-ons could be costing you – Policies have additional coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, accidental death, and extra equipment coverage are some examples. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them remove them from your policy.
Lower rates by staying claim free – Car insurance companies in North Carolina generally give the best rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of claims that pose a financial burden.
Low mileage costs less – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than cars that get driven a lot. Improper usage on your B9 Tribeca may be costing you higher rates. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows annual mileage.
Always keep in mind that when comparing your policy, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different so this has to be addressed.
These are some specific questions might point out whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my Subaru B9 Tribeca?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
When should I get advice from an insurance agent?
Some consumers would rather sit down with an agent and that is not a bad decision The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is that you can find cheaper premium rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to local insurance agents in Durham that can provide free Durham car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good provider should depend on more than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- How long has their agency been in business in Durham?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Durham?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Durham?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
Different types of Durham car insurance agents
When searching for a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they operate. Auto insurance agents in Durham are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only write with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents primarily because of loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Durham who may provide you with price quote information.
- Andy Jones – State Farm Insurance Agent
4519 N Roxboro St – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 477-0054 – View Map
- NC Farm Bureau Insurance
2902 S Miami Blvd Ste A – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 544-4953 – View Map
- Antonio Vela – State Farm Insurance Agent
121 Sherron Rd #106 – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 596-2700 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type are not limited to a single company and that enables them to quote your coverage with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage which makes it simple for you.
When comparing auto insurance rates, you will want to get insurance quotes from several independent insurance agents in order to compare the most rates. Most have the option of insuring with companies you’ve never heard of that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Durham willing to provide rate quotes.
- Superior Insurance Durham North
3808 Guess Rd Suite J – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 973-1507 – View Map
- Herring and Bickers Insurance
2344 Operations Dr Suite 101 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-9900 – View Map
- Triangle Insurance Alliance
2530 Meridian Pkwy #300 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 322-3640 – View Map
Auto insurance company ratings
Finding the highest-rated insurance company can be a challenge considering how many different companies insure vehicles in North Carolina. The information in the lists below may help you choose which auto insurers to look at putting your business with.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Compare auto insurance rates regularly to save
Cheap Subaru B9 Tribeca insurance in Durham can be sourced both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers do not provide internet price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agencies.
We just presented a lot of information how to shop for Subaru B9 Tribeca insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Honda CR-V in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70 in Durham? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)