A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never compared rate quotes at all. North Carolina consumers could cut their rates by $94 a year just by comparing rates, but they feel it's too difficult to find cheap auto insurance rates.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find more affordable Dodge Ram 3500 insurance is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Durham. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about how auto insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many factors that result in higher prices such as your driving record and a less-than-favorable credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing coverage and determine if cheaper Ram 3500 coverage is available. If you can save some money and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you enter similar limits and deductibles on each quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Why Your Insurance Premiums might be higher
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that help calculate your premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that may reward you with cheaper rates.
The following are some of the factors that factor into premiums.
- Raise comp and collision deductibles and save - Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your Dodge. A few examples of covered claims would be a broken windshield, hail damage, and damage from a fallen tree branch. The deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less money you will pay for car insurance.
- How many miles do you drive? - The higher the mileage driven in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure it. Almost all companies calculate prices based upon how much you drive. Autos that do not get driven very much cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Having the wrong rating on your Ram 3500 may be costing you. Verify your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the correct driver usage.
- Extra policy coverages may not be needed - There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that can waste your money but may not be useful. Coverages like personal injury protection, better glass coverage, and term life insurance could be just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when deciding what coverages you need, but if you have no use for them eliminate them to save money.
- City traffic equals higher prices - Choosing to live in less populated areas can be a good thing when buying car insurance. Residents of big cities have more aggressive driving styles and more severe claims. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Vehicle options can affect premiums - Owning a car with advanced anti-theft systems can help bring down rates. Systems that thwart thieves such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system all help stop vehicle theft.
- Multiple policies with one company - Lots of car insurance companies allow a discount to buyers that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. The amount of the discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you still need to check prices from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. Drivers may still save even more by splitting coverages up.
- Poor credit rating equals high rates - Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in your rate calculation. So if your credit is not that good, you may save money insuring your Dodge Ram 3500 by improving your rating. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with poor credit scores.
Analysis of Dodge Ram 3500 rates
The premium information below showcases estimates of rate quotes for Dodge Ram 3500 models. Having a better understanding of how policy premiums are calculated is important to be able to make decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$196||$322||$336||$20||$100||$974||$81|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab ST 2WD||$240||$378||$336||$20||$100||$1,074||$90|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab ST 4WD||$240||$436||$504||$30||$150||$1,360||$113|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$240||$436||$336||$20||$100||$1,132||$94|
|Ram 3500 Mega Cab SLT 2WD||$240||$436||$336||$20||$100||$1,132||$94|
|Ram 3500 Mega Cab SLT 4WD||$240||$494||$504||$30||$150||$1,418||$118|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$240||$494||$504||$30||$150||$1,418||$118|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$240||$494||$504||$30||$150||$1,418||$118|
|Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie 2WD||$240||$436||$336||$20||$100||$1,132||$94|
|Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$240||$436||$336||$20||$100||$1,132||$94|
|Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie 4WD||$240||$494||$504||$30||$150||$1,418||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in specific Durham garaging location which can change premiums significantly.
Get cheaper rates with discounts
Some companies do not advertise every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Government Employee Discount - Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Durham auto insurance with a few insurance companies.
- Paperless Signup - A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Driver Training Discounts - Participating in a course teaching defensive driving skills could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
Don't be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think you could get a free insurance policy, it's just not the way it works.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Ram 3500 car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the premium. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
To see insurance companies with discount rates in Durham, click this link.
Which car insurance company is best in North Carolina?
Picking a highly-rated auto insurance provider is difficult considering how many companies are available to choose from in North Carolina. The ranking data in the next section can help you analyze which providers you want to consider to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA - 91%
- AAA Insurance - 90%
- Esurance - 90%
- Nationwide - 89%
- Travelers - 88%
- Progressive - 88%
- Safeco Insurance - 88%
- State Farm - 88%
- Allstate - 88%
- The Hartford - 87%
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers - A++
- USAA - A++
- GEICO - A++
- State Farm - A++
- Titan Insurance - A+
- Esurance - A+
- Progressive - A+
- Nationwide - A+
- The Hartford - A+
- Allstate - A+
Auto insurance savings summarized
Insureds leave their current company for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, high prices, delays in paying claims and denial of a claim. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right auto insurance provider can be pretty painless.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, someone sacrificed collision coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to reduce Dodge Ram 3500 insurance prices online in Durham. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better chance you'll have of finding low cost Durham auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best prices are with the least-expected company.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
- What if I Can't Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Real Estate Agents in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Durham Auto Insurance Quotes for College Students? (FAQ)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)