How many times have you said it's time to compare cheaper Dodge Ram insurance in Durham? Locating cheap Durham Dodge Ram insurance quotes online can be rather difficult for beginners to comparing and buying auto insurance on the internet. With such a large number of agents and companies, how can Durham drivers be able to compare every auto insurance company to find cheaper auto insurance prices?
Steps to finding discount Dodge Ram insurance in Durham
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find affordable quotes for car insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Durham.
- Take a few minutes and learn about policy coverages and the measures you can take to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that drive up the price such as distracted driving and an imperfect credit history can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple sources. Compare rates now
- Compare the quotes to the price on your current policy to see if cheaper Ram coverage is available in Durham. If you find better rates and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the new company. As soon as you receive it, place the new proof of insurance paperwork in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
One bit of advice is to make sure you're comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to compare as many different companies as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
It's a known fact that auto insurance companies don't want you quoting rates from other companies. Insureds who shop around for better prices are inclined to switch companies because the odds are good of finding more affordable rates. A recent auto insurance study revealed that consumers who compared price quotes annually saved $860 a year compared to people who never shopped around for better prices.
If saving money on car insurance is your ultimate target, then having some insight into how to get price quotes and compare insurance coverage can make the process more efficient.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes as often as possible since insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you found the lowest price on Dodge Ram insurance in Durham on your last policy other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because we're going to demonstrate how to use the internet to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
To find more affordable prices, there are a couple of ways of comparing rate quotes from companies that offer auto insurance in North Carolina. The fastest way to find the cheapest Dodge Ram insurance rates consists of shopping online.
Just keep in mind that making a lot of price comparisons will increase your chances of finding better pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give Durham Ram insurance quotes over the internet, so it's necessary to compare rates on coverage from those companies, too.
The following companies provide price quotes in Durham, NC. In order to find cheap auto insurance in Durham, we recommend you get rate quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Affordable Durham insurance rates with discounts
Some providers do not list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has both well-publicized as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of up to 25% or more.
- Drivers Education - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy and place coverage with the same company you could earn a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Early Signing - A few larger companies allow discounts for switching companies early. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being on active deployment in the military could be rewarded with lower prices.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don't profit that way. But all discounts will bring down your insurance premiums.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Ram yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. Data assumes a male driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, good student, driver training, homeowners, 55 and older, student driver, and defensive driver.
- State Farm includes discounts for student away at school, anti-theft, good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver's education, and multiple autos.
- AAA may have discounts that include pay-in-full, education and occupation, multi-car, good student, good driver, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for preferred payment discount, good student, teen driver discount, newly married, multi-policy, newly retired, and multi-car.
- Progressive may offer discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, online signing, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find affordable Durham car insurance quotes, ask all the companies which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Durham. To see a list of insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Durham, follow this link.
Rates and information analytics
The information displayed below highlights estimates of coverage costs for Dodge Ram models. Understanding how insurance policy premiums are established helps drivers make decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$174||$264||$380||$22||$114||$954||$80|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$196||$322||$380||$22||$114||$1,034||$86|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$218||$378||$380||$22||$114||$1,112||$93|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$218||$436||$380||$22||$114||$1,170||$98|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$218||$436||$380||$22||$114||$1,170||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in Durham location which can alter rates significantly.
Impact of citations and accidents on Durham insurance rates
The illustration below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions drive up Dodge Ram insurance rates for different insured age categories. The data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Premiums by gender and age
The example below shows the difference between Dodge Ram auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no accidents or driving violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Cost of full coverage in Durham
The diagram below shows the difference between Dodge Ram insurance premiums with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The data is based on no violations or claims, $100 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no written rule of when to phase out full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Dodge Ram book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying in excess of $400 annually for physical damage coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Auto insurance agents near you
Some people would prefer to go talk to an agent and often times that is recommended The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is especially important in Durham.
By using this simple form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Durham that provide free Durham car insurance quotes to get your business. You won't need to even leave your home because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You can find better rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Listed below are Durham car insurance companies that may be willing to give price quotes for Dodge Ram insurance in Durham.
- Protective Agency
4215 University Dr #1 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 416-4900 - View Map
- Reliable Insurance Agency of North Carolina Inc.
3325 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd #200 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 864-9048 - View Map
- Antonio Vela - State Farm Insurance Agent
121 Sherron Rd #106 - Durham, NC 27703 - (919) 596-2700 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Caufield Agency
4845 Industry Ln Ste D - Durham, NC 27713 - (919) 493-7471 - View Map
Finding the right insurer needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Does their agency support local causes in Durham?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is required in North Carolina but also provides important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Ram, most lenders will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. But the average American driver is overpaying more than $750 every year so it's very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Car insurance coverage options for a Dodge Ram
Understanding the coverages of car insurance aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show values of 30/60/25 which means $30,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $60,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things like funeral expenses, repair costs for stationary objects, emergency aid, legal defense fees and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy higher limits if possible. North Carolina requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but it's recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as vandalism, hail damage and a broken windshield. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This pays for damage to your Ram from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things such as hitting a mailbox, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a building. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Ram to bring the cost down.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle's damage.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for ambulance fees, rehabilitation expenses, chiropractic care, doctor visits and X-ray expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Affordable car insurance rates are available
In this article, we presented many ways to compare Dodge Ram insurance rates in Durham. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company.
More affordable car insurance in Durham is available both online and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
As you shop your coverage around, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Steps to finding affordable quotes for Dodge Ram insurance in Durham
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get cheaper Dodge Ram insurance in Durham is to compare prices regularly from companies in North Carolina. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- It will benefit you to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like speeding and an imperfect credit score can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing rates to determine if you can save on Ram insurance in Durham. If you can save money, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed application and payment to the newly selected company. Don't forget to place your new certificate of insurance in your glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is that you'll want to compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get price estimates from every company you can. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
More learning opportunities
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Postal Workers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in Durham? (FAQ)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)