Remarkably, a study showed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and almost 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. North Carolina insurance shoppers can save about 10% each year just by comparing rates, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates and save money.
The preferred way to get budget Buick Lucerne insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from companies who sell insurance in Durham. You can shop around by following these steps.
- First, try to understand how companies price auto insurance and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause rate increases like careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for more details to help prevent high rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium and determine if cheaper Lucerne coverage is available. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
A crucial key to this process is to try to use identical coverage information on each price quote and and to compare as many carriers as you can. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and the best price quote selection.
If you already have coverage or are looking for a new policy, take advantage of these tips to cut your premiums and still get good coverage. Finding the lowest cost coverage in Durham is not as hard as you may think. Shoppers just have to understand the most efficient way to shop on the web.
You Can Change Your Insurance Rates
Many factors are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but some are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
Where you live is a factor – Being located in less populated areas has definite advantages when it comes to car insurance. Urban drivers have to deal with much more traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Stress out and pay more – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs like lawyers, social workers, and accountants tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of job stress and long work days. Conversely, occupations like farmers, athletes and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
Five star safety rating saves money – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company which can result in lower premiums. If your Buick is rated at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may pay a lower rate.
Gender and insurance coverage rates – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both genders are in accidents in similar percentages, but the men get into accidents with more damage. They also receive more major tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Young males tend to get in the most accidents so it costs more to insure them.
The illustration below compares Buick Lucerne insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
Insure car and home with the same company – Lots of companies will award lower prices to policyholders that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.There is a good possibility that you can save even more by buying from different companies
Liability protection is critical – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the protection if ever you are determined to be liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage to defend your case. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
All the larger car insurance companies make it easy to get price estimates directly from their websites. Getting Buick Lucerne insurance prices online doesn’t take much effort as you just type in your personal and coverage information as detailed in the form. Behind the scenes, their rating system sends out for reports for credit and driving violations and quotes a price based on the data you entered.
This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to do this if you want to get the most affordable premium.
If you want to use this form to compare rates, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you complete the form with the insurance coverages identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have rate quotes for the exact same coverage.
The companies in the list below can provide free rate quotes in North Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Data for Buick Lucerne insurance
The data table shown next showcases estimates of insurance policy prices for Buick Lucerne models. Learning as much as possible about how premiums are figured can help you make decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Lucerne CXL Special Edition||$268||$646||$336||$20||$100||$1,370||$114|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can decrease or increase rates noticeably.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper auto insurance rates
The example below illustrates how traffic citations and fender-benders influence Buick Lucerne insurance prices for each different age group. The premiums assume a married female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The chart below illustrates the difference between Buick Lucerne car insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The rates are based on no claims or driving citations, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage or liability only?
There is no exact formula to stop buying physical damage coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Buick Lucerne replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $700 annually to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Three reasons to insure your Buick Lucerne
Even though Durham Lucerne insurance rates can get expensive, auto insurance is mandatory in North Carolina but it also protects more than you think.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Lucerne has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Buick at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
Third, auto insurance protects your Buick Lucerne and your assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Buick as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying over $869 every year so it’s recommended you shop around every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Save with these rate reducing discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every discount very clearly, so the list below details both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Durham auto insurance online.
- Responsible Drivers – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Online Discount – A handful of companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy online.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down on your Buick can qualify you for better insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Simply owning a home can help you save on insurance because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Pay Early and Save – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Good Student Discount – Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having primary and secondary vehicles with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger insurance carriers have a lower price if you buy some life insurance too.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child participate in a local driver’s education class if offered at their school.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims pay less when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Buick Lucerne car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, marriage, safe-driver, multi-car, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few popular companies and some of their more popular discounts are included below.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include switch companies, electronic funds transfer, business and professional, mature driver, multi-car, teen driver, and distant student.
- Esurance has discounts for multi-car, good student, defensive driver, online quote, claim free, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may offer discounts for passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, anti-theft, student away at school, and accident-free.
- GEICO may include discounts for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, good student, federal employee, and multi-policy.
- Allstate includes discounts for senior citizen, economy car, eSmart discount, teenSMART discount, passive restraint, premier plus, and farm vehicle.
Double check with each company the best way to save money. Savings might not be offered on policies in every state. If you would like to view providers with the best discounts in Durham, click this link.
You may want advice from an insurance agency
Certain consumers still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! Professional insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheaper rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Durham that can provide free Durham auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won’t need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good provider should depend on more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Durham should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in North Carolina?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
If you are wanting to find a local insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Durham agents can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles, but it is a good idea to know why they differ because it can influence buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only place business with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are well trained in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers frequently buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the prominent brand name rather than having low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham who can help you get price quote information.
- Farm Bureau Insurance
4021 Stirrup Creek Dr #220a – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 469-3191 – View Map
- NC Farm Bureau Insurance
2902 S Miami Blvd Ste A – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 544-4953 – View Map
- James Zewe – State Farm Insurance Agent
3500 Westgate Dr Ste 901 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 489-0804 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not locked into one company and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to do anything.
If you need lower rates, you will definitely want to check rates from multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates. They also have the ability to place coverage with small mutual carriers which may have better rates.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Durham who can help you get rate quotes.
- Bowen Agency, Inc.
4905 Pine Cone Dr Suite 5 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 929-4222 – View Map
- Triangle Insurance Alliance
2530 Meridian Pkwy #300 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 322-3640 – View Map
- Superior Insurance Durham North
3808 Guess Rd Suite J – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 973-1507 – View Map
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to choosing your policy for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For example, these questions can help discover whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Cheaper car insurance premiums are possible
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim, policy non-renewal and even extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new car insurance company can be pretty painless.
More affordable car insurance in Durham is attainable both online in addition to many Durham insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers only sell through independent agencies.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice full coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The goal is to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More information is available at the links below
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- How Much is Durham Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Durham Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Rogue in Durham? (FAQ)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)