To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper Chevy Uplander insurance in Durham is to compare quotes once a year from different companies in North Carolina. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Get an understanding of how car insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, accidents and a less-than-favorable credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article gives more details to prevent expensive rate increases and find overlooked discounts.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One thing to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Inconceivable but true, the vast majority of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Durham drivers could save an average of almost $90 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t believe how much savings they would realize if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Our objective in writing this article is to help you learn how to get online quotes and also save some money in the process If you’re already insured, you should be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas presented in this article. Consumers just need to know the proper way to compare different rates online.
The Chevy Uplander Insurance Cost Equation
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that help calculate the price you pay for insurance. If you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find better insurance rates. Many things are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
- Where you live – Being located in less populated areas has it’s advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Drivers in populated areas have much more traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- Where do you drive? – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the more you will pay for insurance. The majority of insurers apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. A policy that improperly rates your Uplander may be costing you. It’s a good idea to make sure your declarations sheet states the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- A coverage lapse is a bad thing – Not having insurance is against the law and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the North Carolina DMV.
- Use but don’t abuse your insurance – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you shouldn’t be surprised to get higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Companies in North Carolina provide lower rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Physical damage deductibles are a factor – Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are required to spend if a covered claim is submitted. Physical damage protection, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of covered claims are rear-ending another vehicle, animal collisions, and having a roll-over accident. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the less money you will pay for insurance.
The best way to compare rate quotes for Chevy Uplander insurance in Durham takes advantage of the fact most of the larger companies will pay a fee to provide you with a free rate quote. All you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information such as how much you drive, driver ages, whether you are single or married, and the type of vehicles you drive. The data is sent automatically to insurance carriers in your area and they return quotes almost instantly.
To start a quote now, click here and complete the form.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price quotes in North Carolina. To find cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Why car insurance is not optional
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Uplander insurance, insurance is required by state law in North Carolina and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, the majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
Third, insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your car insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Uplander definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in North Carolina is overpaying more than $700 annually so shop around at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Take advantage of these discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on insurance. If you do not double check each discount available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Safety Course Discount – Participating in a safe driver class could earn you a small percentage discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage could earn lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- Good Grades Discount – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Multi-car Discount – Having several vehicles on the same insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- New Car Discount – Putting coverage on a new Uplander can cost up to 25% less because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Responsible Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings as much as 30%.
A quick disclaimer, some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic.
A partial list of companies that have most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Before buying, ask each company how you can save money. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in your state. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies with significant discounts in Durham, follow this link.
Exclusive versus independent auto insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and also buy local. And providing support for small agencies is especially important in Durham.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents that provide free Durham car insurance quotes for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent to your email. If you need to get a price quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you need to find a reliable agent, there are two different types of agencies that you can select. Agents in Durham can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ since it can affect which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different car insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part. When comparing car insurance rates, you will want to get insurance quotes from several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Featured below are Durham independent insurance agencies that may be able to give free rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive are contracted to one company like Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are trained well on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham that can give you price quotes.
Finding the right auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance.
You are unique and your insurance should be too
When quoting and comparing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Quote more and you will save more
When getting Durham car insurance quotes online, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced collision coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions and even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can get a better price on Chevy Uplander insurance in Durham. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Retired Military in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Sonata in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70 in Durham? (FAQ)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)