Want cheaper Hyundai Santa Fe insurance in Durham? Trying to find better insurance prices for a Hyundai Santa Fe in North Carolina could be a lot of work, but you can follow these tips to save time. There is a right way and a wrong way to compare car insurance rates and you need to know the best way to get price quotes for a Hyundai and obtain the lowest price.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Durham is really quite easy. If you are already insured or are just looking to switch companies, you can follow these tips to save money while maximizing coverage. Drivers just need to use the fastest way to compare insurance rates from many different companies online.
Cheap companies for Hyundai Santa Fe insurance
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in Durham, NC. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance analysis for a Hyundai Santa Fe
The rate table below covers different prices for Hyundai Santa Fe models. Having a better idea how insurance prices are established is important for making smart choices when selecting a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Santa Fe GLS 2WD||$118||$270||$282||$16||$84||$770||$64|
|Santa Fe GLS 4WD||$134||$270||$282||$16||$84||$786||$66|
|Santa Fe SE 2WD||$134||$270||$282||$16||$84||$786||$66|
|Santa Fe Limited 2WD||$134||$318||$282||$16||$84||$834||$70|
|Santa Fe SE 4WD||$134||$318||$282||$16||$84||$834||$70|
|Santa Fe Limited 4WD||$152||$318||$282||$16||$84||$852||$71|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in Durham location which can modify auto insurance rates substantially.
Insurance premiums for males and females
The information below illustrates the comparison of Hyundai Santa Fe insurance rates for male and female drivers. The information is based on no claims or violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The information below illustrates the comparison of Hyundai Santa Fe car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The price estimates are based on no violations or claims, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There isn’t a written rule to delete physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s pretend your Hyundai Santa Fe book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $300 a year for physical damage coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few cases where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Cheaper Hyundai Santa Fe insurance in Durham
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you might find some hidden discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before they will apply.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course if offered at their school.
- Driver Safety – Completing a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with all your vehicles with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Accident Waiver – Not really a discount, but some companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO permit an accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few companies give discounts for renewing your policy before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your car insurance premiums.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Hyundai Santa Fe yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. Data assumes a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, claim-free, marriage, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- American Family discounts include multi-vehicle, air bags, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, and TimeAway discount.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, multiple policy, and driver’s education.
- 21st Century may include discounts for teen driver, good student, student driver, homeowners, and anti-lock brakes.
- Travelers offers discounts for hybrid/electric vehicle, driver training, early quote, multi-policy, and multi-car.
- GEICO offers discounts including membership and employees, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, seat belt use, and anti-theft.
It’s a good idea to ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in every state. To locate companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Durham, click here.
Why Your Insurance Premiums might be higher
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that aid in calculating the price you pay for insurance. If you know what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you lower rates.
A coverage lapse is a bad thing – Allowing your coverage to lapse can be a fast way to increase your renewal premiums. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance could result in a revoked license or a big fine. You will then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the North Carolina motor vehicle department.
Vehicles with better crash test results means cheaper prices – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums.
Drivers with high credit save on insurance – An insured’s credit history can be an important factor in determining what you pay. So if your credit rating is not that good, you may save money insuring your Hyundai Santa Fe by spending a little time repairing your credit. Insureds with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with worse credit.
Eliminate unneeded extra policy coverages – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles you can purchase when buying insurance. Things like personal injury protection, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage could be just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past think about removing them and cutting costs.
Premiums go up with performance – The type of vehicle you own makes a substantial difference in your auto insurance rates. The lowest premiums are generally reserved for the lowest performance passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The following data uses these variables: married male driver age 50, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Hyundai Santa Fe policy rates compared to other makes and models that have different performance risks.
Youthful drivers cost more – More experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Drivers with little experience are known to be easily distracted when driving and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher.
The chart below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Loss probability for a Hyundai Santa Fe – Companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher losses will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table below outlines the insurance loss data for Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Values that are under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Hyundai Santa Fe 4dr 2WD||91||94||82||86||92||91|
|Hyundai Santa Fe 4dr 4WD||109||115||97||96||84||94|
|Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr 2WD||88||90||93||90||89||93|
|Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr 4WD||95||91||110||90||96||84|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions might point out if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- How much liability coverage do I need in North Carolina?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Get rate quotes but buy from a neighborhood Durham auto insurance agent
A lot of people just prefer to have an agent’s advice and doing that can be a smart decision Agents can help you build your policy and will help you if you have claims. The best thing about comparing car insurance online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area that can provide free Durham car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to you directly. If you want to compare prices from a particular provider, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Picking an insurance company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- How long has their agency been open in Durham?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Durham?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
Is an exclusive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
If you want to buy car insurance from a local insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Durham agents can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types of agents can handle car insurance, but it is a good idea to know how they are different because it can influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These agents can only quote rates from one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are well schooled on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often use the same exclusive agent primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
Below are Durham exclusive agents who may provide you with price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Andrew F Jones
5242 Roxboro Rd Ste C – Durham, NC 27712 – (919) 477-7666 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Craig Insurance Group Inc
6224 Fayetteville Rd #106a – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 544-8484 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Ava Brownlee
14 Consultant Pl Ste 150 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 490-6667 – View Map
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. If you want to switch companies, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to small mutual carriers which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Durham who can help you get price quotes.
- Bull City Insurance
121 Sherron Rd #302 – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 596-0671 – View Map
- Bowen Agency, Inc.
4905 Pine Cone Dr Suite 5 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 929-4222 – View Map
- The Sorgi Insurance Agency
16 Consultant Pl Suite 102 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 682-4814 – View Map
Be persistent to save money
Lower-priced Hyundai Santa Fe insurance in Durham is possible from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Durham agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some companies don’t offer rate quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
When shopping online for car insurance, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced full coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost.
How to save money on Hyundai Santa Fe insurance in Durham
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to save money on Hyundai Santa Fe insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies who provide auto insurance in Durham. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- Take a little time to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as your driving record and an imperfect credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a better price, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new company or agent. Make sure you keep the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
A good tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote and and to compare every insurance company. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.