It’s well known that insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Consumers who shop around for cheaper price quotes will most likely switch companies because there is a high probability of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent auto insurance study revealed that consumers who routinely compared rates saved approximately $860 a year compared to people who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on Chevy Spark insurance in Durham is your objective, then having some insight into how to quote prices and compare insurance rates can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
The most effective way to find cheaper prices for Chevy Spark insurance in Durham is to compare quotes once a year from providers who provide auto insurance in North Carolina.
- Try to understand policy coverages and the measures you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and poor credit history can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Durham. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your agent or company of your decision to cancel your current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the new company. Once coverage is bound, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance with the vehicle registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing identical deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as possible. This guarantees a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
If you have a policy now, you should be able to find better prices using these methods. This article’s goal is to teach you a little about how car insurance quotes work and also pocket some savings Although North Carolina consumers can benefit from knowing how the larger insurance companies price insurance differently.
Why Informed Drivers Pay Less for Chevy Spark Insurance
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although others are less obvious such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
- Lower rates for married couples – Having a significant other can actually save you money on your auto insurance policy. It may mean you are more responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Liability protection is peace of mind – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the coverage that protects you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Reduce auto insurance rates by staying claim free – Companies in North Carolina give most affordable rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your insurance policy is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Men tend to take more risk – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. This data doesn’t prove that men are worse drivers. Both sexes cause fender benders in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers cause the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- A car insurance policy lapse is a bad thing – Driving without insurance coverage in place is a misdemeanor and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will you pay more, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Raise physical damage deductibles and save – The deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Lower premiums with alarms and GPS tracking – Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Systems that thwart thieves like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help prevent auto theft.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be asked for before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with one company you may save up to 20% and get you low cost Chevrolet Spark insurance.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance since owning and maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Early Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Accident Waiver – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
Companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and homeowner.
- AAA may offer discounts for AAA membership discount, education and occupation, multi-policy, good driver, multi-car, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including good student, distant student, homeowner, mature driver, and early shopping.
- GEICO has discounts for emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, air bags, and anti-theft.
- Esurance has savings for Switch & Save, DriveSense, good driver, anti-theft, emergency road assistance, and online shopper.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, drive less, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, and anti-theft.
- State Farm may include discounts for good driver, multiple policy, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, and accident-free.
If you need low cost Durham auto insurance quotes, ask every company to give you their best rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to view providers who offer online Chevy Spark insurance quotes in Durham, click this link.
Cheaper coverage is out there
Cost effective Chevy Spark insurance can be found from both online companies and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not provide price quotes online and most of the time these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional learning opportunities
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)