Do you want to stop overpaying and find lower-priced Ford F-150 insurance in Durham? Searching for cheaper insurance for your Ford F-150 in North Carolina could be an all-consuming task, but you can use our car insurance buying tips to save time.
There is a better way to buy car insurance so we're going to tell you the best way to quote coverages for your Ford and find the cheapest rates from Durham insurance agents and online providers.
You need to do price comparisons periodically due to the fact that insurance prices tend to go up over time. Just because you found the lowest rates on Ford F-150 insurance in Durham a year ago there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're about to learn the only way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Durham, NC. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in Durham, NC, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Take policy discounts and save on Ford F-150 insurance in Durham
Auto insurance companies do not advertise their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Insuring a new F-150 can save up to 30% because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Government Employee Discount - Federal government employees may reduce rates when you quote Durham auto insurance depending on your company.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may reduce your total bill.
- Accident Waiver - Not a discount per se, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm may permit one accident without raising rates so long as you haven't had any claims for a certain period of time.
- E-sign Discounts - Some larger companies give back up to $50 for signing up on the internet.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your car insurance premiums.
The diagram below shows the difference between Ford F-150 car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The rate quotes are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
Companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- AAA offers discounts including pay-in-full, multi-policy, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good student, and multi-car.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- State Farm may offer discounts for Drive Safe & Save, good driver, defensive driving training, passive restraint, multiple autos, and multiple policy.
- Esurance discounts include homeowner, Pac-12 alumni, good student, anti-theft, multi-car, renters, and good driver.
- Nationwide may include discounts for multi-policy, defensive driving, business or organization, family plan, accident-free, good student, and easy pay.
If you need affordable Ford F-150 insurance quotes, ask each company how you can save money. Some discounts might not be offered everywhere. To locate insurers with significant discounts in North Carolina, click here.
Ford F-150 insurance coverage information
The table shown below highlights detailed analysis of insurance policy prices for Ford F-150 models. Understanding how auto insurance policy rates are determined can be of help when making smart choices when choosing a car insurance company.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$100||$148||$324||$20||$96||$688||$57|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$100||$190||$324||$20||$96||$730||$61|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$100||$190||$324||$20||$96||$730||$61|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$100||$190||$324||$20||$96||$730||$61|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$100||$190||$324||$20||$96||$730||$61|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$114||$190||$324||$20||$96||$744||$62|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$128||$190||$324||$20||$96||$758||$63|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$128||$190||$324||$20||$96||$758||$63|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$128||$190||$324||$20||$96||$758||$63|
|F-150 FX2 2WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 FX4 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 SVT Raptor Super Cab 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4WD||$128||$230||$324||$20||$96||$798||$67|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$128||$272||$324||$20||$96||$840||$70|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$128||$272||$324||$20||$96||$840||$70|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$128||$272||$324||$20||$96||$840||$70|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$144||$272||$324||$20||$96||$856||$71|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$144||$272||$324||$20||$96||$856||$71|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 4WD||$144||$272||$324||$20||$96||$856||$71|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in specific location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates greatly.
The example below shows how different deductible levels and can impact Ford F-150 insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Drive responsibly or pay higher rates
The illustration below illustrates how traffic citations and accidents can impact Ford F-150 insurance costs for different insured age categories. The premiums are based on a married female driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The chart below shows the comparison of Ford F-150 car insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the North Carolina minimum liability coverage. The data is based on no violations or accidents, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no exact rule to delete comp and collision coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your Ford F-150 replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $700 a year for full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Insurance agencies can help
Many people prefer to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Experienced insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Durham.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your information is transmitted to participating agents in Durham who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you want a local insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance agents in Durham are classified as either exclusive or independent. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it's good to learn the differences because it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you can keep the same agent. When searching for an agent, we highly recommend that you get quotes from a few independent agents to have the best price comparison. Most can insure with smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Durham who can help you get free price quotes.
- Marsh Dawson Insurance Agency
5410 - Durham, NC 27713 - (919) 484-8400 - View Map
- Bowen Agency, Inc.
4905 Pine Cone Dr Suite 5 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 929-4222 - View Map
- Knox Insurance Agency
200 Meredith Dr Suite 104 - Durham, NC 27713 - (919) 313-6411 - View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. They are highly trained on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Many people buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand name and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Below are Durham exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Sizsiz L Wong
105 W North Carolina 54 Ste 279 - Durham, NC 27713 - (919) 544-7000 - View Map
- James Zewe - State Farm Insurance Agent
3500 Westgate Dr Ste 901 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 489-0804 - View Map
- Rollie Olin - State Farm Insurance Agent
4810 Hope Valley Rd #116 - Durham, NC 27707 - (919) 489-6008 - View Map
Picking the best insurance agent shouldn't rely on just a cheap price. Any agent in Durham should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is the agency active in community causes in Durham?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When selecting coverage online or from an agent, there isn't really a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Informed Consumers Can Cut Insurance Costs
When buying car insurance it's important to understand the rating factors that help determine car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates. Lots of things are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but others are more obscure such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
Your location is important - Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has it's advantages when buying car insurance. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and more time behind the wheel. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
Does car insurance cost more for men? - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. That doesn't necessarily mean that females are better at driving than males. Both genders are in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but males cause more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Ford F-150 annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no violations or claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Reduce prices by driving cars with good safety ratings - Vehicles that have high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums. If your Ford F-150 scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org you are probably receiving a discount.
Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket - Physical damage protection, also called 'full coverage', insures against damage to your Ford. Examples of some claims that would be covered are a broken side mirror, vandalism, and burglary. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The more expense you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for car insurance.
What type of vehicle do you drive? - The make and model of the car or truck you need to insure makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest rates will normally be found when insuring smaller low performance passenger vehicles, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
The data below assumes a single female driver age 30, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows Ford F-150 policy rates compared to other models that have a range of performance rating factors.
Bundle policies with the same company - Most insurance companies give a discount for people who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be as much as ten percent or more Even with this discount applied, you may still want to compare Ford F-150 rates in Durham to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
Higher car insurance rates for coverage lapses - Allowing your coverage to lapse will be a guaranteed way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage could result in a steep fine or even jail time.
File policy claims and pay more - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims don't be surprised to see either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance companies in North Carolina give cheaper rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Insurance loss data for a Ford F-150 - Insurance companies analyze the history of losses when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that the data determines to have high amounts or severity of claims will have a higher cost to insure.
The data below shows the compiled insurance loss statistics for Ford F-150 vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, equals 100. Numbers below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate frequent claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Specific Ford Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford F-150 SuperCab 4WD||67||110||39|
|Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2WD||42||93||72|
|Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4WD||75||76||101||56||57||76|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why you need quality insurance for your Ford vehicle
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Durham, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability in order to license the vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Today the average American driver overpays more than $750 every year so shop around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Which car insurance company is best in North Carolina?
Selecting a good quality auto insurance company is difficult considering how many companies provide coverage in Durham. The rank data listed below may help you decide which providers you want to consider buying from.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- The General
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Overall
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
Find cheap rates by being thorough
Drivers change insurance companies for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation, policy non-renewal or unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is not as hard as you think.
The cheapest Ford F-150 insurance in Durham is attainable online in addition to many Durham insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not have rates over the internet and many times these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
How to find cheaper Ford F-150 insurance in Durham
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find low-cost Ford F-150 insurance in Durham is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers who sell insurance in North Carolina.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how car insurance works and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a negative credit rating can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
The most important part of this process is that you use identical coverages on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees an accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read in the articles below:
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for First-time Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Real Estate Agents in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance After a Speeding Ticket in Durham? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)