To save the most money, the best way to save money on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Durham is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers in North Carolina. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many factors that drive up the price like at-fault accidents and a lousy credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if cheaper Five Hundred coverage is available. If you find better rates, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One bit of advice is to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote and to quote with as many companies as possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Smart shoppers know that car insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. People who get price comparisons are inclined to buy a new policy because the odds are good of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent survey found that people who shopped around every year saved over $860 a year compared to policyholders who didn’t regularly shop around.
If saving the most money on car insurance is your objective, then having a good understanding how to find companies and compare insurance can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
To find affordable Durham auto insurance quotes, there are several ways to compare prices from insurance companies in your area. By far the easiest way to lower the rate you pay for Ford Five Hundred insurance is to get quotes online. Just remember that getting more free quotes will enable you to find more affordable rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide rate quotes online, so you also need to get quotes from them as well.
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in North Carolina. If you want to find the cheapest auto insurance in NC, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Why you need to buy insurance
Even though it can be expensive, buying insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Ford with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in America overpays as much as $855 a year so it’s important to compare rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Earn discounts on Durham car insurance
Some insurance providers don’t list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a class that teaches safe driver techniques is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few companies give discounts for signing up before your current expiration date. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment may reduce rates when you quote Durham auto insurance with certain companies.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring several vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted price on car insurance if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Bundle and Save – If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy with the same company you may save up to 20% off your total Five Hundred insurance premium.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren’t that lucky. But any discount should help reduce the amount you have to pay.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be read below.
- State Farm discounts include good driver, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, passive restraint, defensive driving training, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for new vehicle discount, newly married, preferred payment discount, new move discount, and teen driver discount.
- American Family may include discounts for Steer into Savings, defensive driver, air bags, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, continuous coverage, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for alternative fuel, youthful driver, mature driver, homeowner, electronic funds transfer, distant student, and pay in full.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for paid in full, paperless, air bags, mature driver, group or association, safe vehicle, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO offers discounts including safe driver, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, homeowner, and multi-car.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company to give you their best rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in Durham. If you would like to view insurance companies with the best discounts in North Carolina, click this link.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When quoting and comparing your policy for your vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totaled car?
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What states are considered no-fault?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
North Carolina auto insurance company ratings
Picking the top company can be challenging considering how many companies there are to choose from in North Carolina. The company information in the lists below can help you analyze which car insurance providers to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Overall
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family