It’s easy to assume that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. People who shop around for cheaper rates are inclined to buy a different policy because there are good odds of finding lower prices. A recent survey discovered that consumers who did price comparisons regularly saved $865 a year as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding budget-friendly rates on car insurance is your intention, learning how to shop for cheaper coverage can help make the process easier and more efficient.
It takes a little time, but the best way to get discount Ford GT insurance is to compare prices regularly from companies in Durham. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- Take a little time to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause high rates such as speeding and poor credit rating can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies. Find a Durham insurance agent
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Tell your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit the application along with any required down payment to the new company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the proof of insurance paperwork in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A good tip to remember is to make sure you enter the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. This provides a fair rate comparison and a thorough price selection.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Durham can be easy if you know a few tricks. If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, use these tips to cut your premiums and still have adequate protection. Consumers just need to use the quickest method to quote multiple rates online.
Companies offering Ford GT insurance in North Carolina
The auto insurance companies shown below provide price comparisons in Durham, NC. If you want cheaper auto insurance in Durham, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the below list has a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- One Accident Forgiven – This isn’t a discount exactly, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums if you have no claims prior to the accident.
- Telematics Devices – People who choose to allow their company to monitor driving patterns through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Good Student Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
One thing to note about discounts is that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. Any amount of discount will definitely reduce the amount you have to pay.
Some of the larger companies that possibly offer these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent to give you their best rates. Savings might not be available to policyholders in your area.
Five Tips to Get Lower-cost Durham Insurance Rates
Lots of things are considered when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, although some other factors are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or your commute time.
Liability insurance limits are a factor – Liability coverage will afford coverage in the event that you are found to be at fault for an accident. It provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
Your career may increase rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs like military generals, social workers, and dentists tend to pay higher average rates in part from stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Other occupations such as professors, engineers and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Uninterrupted coverage lowers prices – Driving any period of time without insurance is a big no-no and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage have a gap. In addition to paying higher premiums, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the North Carolina motor vehicle department.
Insurance premiums and driver gender – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, this does not mean females are better at driving than males. Males and females cause at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but men have accidents that have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets such as reckless driving.
More performance means more cost – The performance level of the car you need to insure makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest rates will generally be found on small economy passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Can’t I compare prices from local Durham car insurance agents?
A lot of people would rather get advice from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Experienced insurance agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheaper car insurance rates and also buy local.
After filling out this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to agents in your area that can provide free Durham auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t even need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right insurer requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Durham should have no problem answering these questions:
- Where are claims handled?
- If they are an independent agency in Durham, which companies do they recommend?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
If you want a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Auto insurance agencies are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out why they differ since it could factor into your agent selection.
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Durham that are able to give price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you compare prices from a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection.
Listed below are Durham independent insurance agents who can help you get price quotes.
North Carolina auto insurance company ratings
Insuring your vehicle with the highest-rated company can be a challenge considering how many companies are available to choose from in Durham. The ranking information in the lists below can help you choose which car insurance companies to look at when looking for cheaper rates.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
- Titan Insurance
One last thing to lower rates
We just showed you some good ideas how to get a better price on Ford GT insurance in Durham. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a small local company. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Cheap Ford GT insurance in Durham can be sourced online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not provide online quoting and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
Even more information can be found at these sites:
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a School Permit in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Veterans in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Durham? (FAQ)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)