Do you want an efficient way to compare cheaper GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham? No car owner likes buying car insurance, especially knowing the cost is too high.
It’s amazing but most drivers in North Carolina kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never shopped around. American drivers can save 47% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don’t grasp the amount of savings they would get if they switch to a new company.
You have so many insurers to buy insurance from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare company pricing for GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham.
It’s a good idea to get comparison quotes before your policy renews since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Even if you got the best premium rates on GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re about to learn one of the quickest ways to buy cheaper GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham.
Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Durham seems hard but is not really that difficult. If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas covered in this article. But North Carolina consumers do need to understand the way insurance companies determine premium rates because it can help you find the best coverage.
There are several ways of comparing rates from all the different companies. The best method to find cheaper rates is to use the internet to compare rates.
Getting free rate quotes online is quite simple, and it replaces the need to physically go to insurance agencies in your area. The ability to quote GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the trained advice of a licensed agent. It is possible with some companies get the lowest quotes online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
When price shopping your coverage, quoting more helps locate more affordable insurance.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Durham, NC. To buy cheap auto insurance in Durham, we recommend you visit several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Earn discounts on Durham insurance
Auto insurance companies do not list every policy discount very well, so the list below gives a summary of both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy Durham auto insurance online.
- Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching to them before your current Sierra 3500HD insurance policy expires. You may see this discount when you get Durham auto insurance quotes online.
- E-sign Discounts – A handful of larger companies will provide an incentive for signing up digitally online.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles on your GMC could earn slightly better rates than normal.
- Driver Education Discount – Teen drivers should complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- College Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Durham and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
The illustration below shows the difference between GMC Sierra 3500HD auto insurance rates with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The data is based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, homeowner, marriage, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for driver training, youthful driver, good student, 55 and retired, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- MetLife may include discounts for accident-free, defensive driver, claim-free, good driver, and good student.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- AAA has discounts for good student, anti-theft, multi-car, multi-policy, AAA membership discount, and pay-in-full.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, early bird, and air bags.
- GEICO includes discounts for seat belt use, emergency military deployment, good student, daytime running lights, and driver training.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple autos, safe vehicle, good driver, good student, accident-free, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
Check with each company or agent to give you their best rates. Savings might not be offered on policies in every state. To find providers with discount insurance rates in North Carolina, click here to view.
GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance coverage information
The premium information below showcases detailed analysis of insurance prices for GMC Sierra 3500HD models. Being aware of how insurance policy premiums are formulated can help guide drivers when making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$166||$296||$336||$20||$100||$918||$77|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$166||$340||$420||$24||$126||$1,076||$90|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$166||$296||$336||$20||$100||$918||$77|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Extended Cab 2WD||$166||$296||$336||$20||$100||$918||$77|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$166||$340||$420||$24||$126||$1,076||$90|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$166||$340||$420||$24||$126||$1,076||$90|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$166||$296||$336||$20||$100||$918||$77|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$166||$340||$420||$24||$126||$1,076||$90|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$166||$340||$420||$24||$126||$1,076||$90|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$182||$340||$336||$20||$100||$978||$82|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase price quotes significantly.
Impact of citations and accidents on insurance rates
The diagram below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims can influence GMC Sierra 3500HD yearly insurance costs for different age categories. Data assumes a single male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance premiums by gender
The diagram below shows the comparison of GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Compare rates but work with a local Durham insurance agency
Certain consumers would rather go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
By using this quick form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in Durham who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent to the email address you provide. It’s the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking an company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. The following questions are important to ask.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
When researching a local agent, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Insurance policy providers may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are highly trained on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency. When comparison shopping, you definitely need to contact at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following are independent agencies in Durham that can give you rate quotes.
After talking to the agent and getting satisfactory answers to your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agency that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Smart Buyers Can Reduce Their Insurance Premiums
Many different elements are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but some are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that aid in calculating your premiums. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in cheaper rates.
- Car insurance liability insurance limits – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Extra policy coverages can add up – There are many extra add-on coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, towing, and membership fees are probably not needed. These coverages may sound good initially, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so think about removing them and cutting costs.
- High comp and collision deductibles save money – Protection for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, hail damage, and burglary. The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Insurance policy lapses lead to higher prices – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a quick way to increase your rates. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the North Carolina motor vehicle department.
- Where you reside factors in – Being located in areas with lower population can be a good thing when trying to find low car insurance rates. People in densely populated areas have to deal with traffic congestion and more time behind the wheel. Less people living in that area corresponds to lower accident rates as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
Teen driver insurance prices – Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit. Inexperience drivers tend to be less responsible behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher.
The following data assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a wife or husband may save some money on insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are less irresponsible and it’s proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Prevent theft and save money – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
Insuring your vehicle just makes sense
Despite the high insurance cost for a GMC Sierra 3500HD in Durham, paying for insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Sierra 3500HD with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your GMC at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your GMC and your assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying more than $810 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Shop around and save
We just covered a lot of information how to get a better price on GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Durham auto insurance, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the most savings is with the smaller companies. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
There are still a few companies who may not have online price quotes and these smaller providers provide coverage only through local independent agencies. Cost effective GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance can be bought on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
How to save money on GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance in Durham
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to save money on GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance is to compare quotes annually from insurers that insure vehicles in Durham. You can compare rates by following these steps.
- Take a few minutes and learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can control to keep rates in check. Many factors that drive up the price like getting speeding tickets and an imperfect credit history can be rectified by paying attention to minor details.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple companies. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
The key thing to remember is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to look at as many companies as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete selection of prices.
More information is available on the following sites:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for High Mileage Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male in Durham? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)