It’s an obvious statement that car insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who get comparison quotes once a year will probably buy a new policy because there is a high probability of finding lower rate quotes. A recent insurance study discovered that consumers who did price comparisons regularly saved an average of $860 a year compared to people who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Buick Rainier insurance in Durham is why you’re reading this, then understanding how to compare insurance rates can save time, money, and frustration.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find low-cost Buick Rainier insurance is to regularly compare prices from companies that insure vehicles in Durham.
Step 1: Read about how companies price auto insurance and the changes you can make to drop your rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as traffic violations and a substandard credit history can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to the new company. When you receive it, keep the new certificate verifying coverage in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A good tip to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same liability limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to compare as many companies as feasibly possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Shopping for the lowest cost coverage in Durham is simple if you know the tricks. If you have a policy now or just want to reduce your rates, you can use this information to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the most efficient way to shop their coverage around from multiple carriers.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Durham, NC. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
These discounts can cut Buick Rainier insurance rates
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you can get discounts to reduce the price significantly. Many discounts should be triggered at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be manually applied in order for you to get them. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents get the best car insurance rates when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Multi-line Discount – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower car insurance rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving less can qualify you for substantially lower prices.
- Professional Organizations – Being in certain professional organizations can get you a small discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a new Rainier can save up to 30% because newer models are generally safer.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you could get a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all occupants to fasten their seat belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies provide a discount for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Rainier insurance policy. This can save 10% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking time to complete a course in defensive driving could save 5% or more if you qualify.
You should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, driver training, daytime running lights, and five-year accident-free.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for multiple vehicles, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, student away at school, and paid in full.
- American Family offers premium reductions for mySafetyValet, good driver, early bird, TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, air bags, and defensive driver.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including renters, safety device, online shopper, paid-in-full, online quote, DriveSense, and multi-car.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- State Farm discounts include passive restraint, defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, multiple autos, and good student.
- AAA includes discounts for education and occupation, anti-theft, good driver, pay-in-full, good student, multi-policy, and AAA membership discount.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in Durham.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Costs
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the factors that aid in calculating the price you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower premium levels.
Use one insurance company and save – Most larger insurers give discounts to insureds that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
You might have higher prices if you are single – Getting married may earn you lower rates on insurance. It demonstrates that you tend to be more financially stable and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Rates may be higher where you live – Residing in smaller towns and rural areas of the country can be a good thing when buying insurance. Fewer people corresponds to lower accident rates and a lower car theft rate. People in densely populated areas tend to have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. More time commuting statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Optional features that cut premiums – Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance. Theft deterrent systems like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder auto theft and help lower rates.
Do I need an insurance agency?
Many drivers still like to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Good insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is you can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from small agencies is still important in Durham.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Durham that provide free Durham auto insurance quotes to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you are searching for an insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies from which to choose. Agencies in Durham are considered either independent or exclusive. Either type can write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out how they are different since it can affect which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company and that require little work on your part. When comparing auto insurance rates, it’s recommended you get several quotes from multiple independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Durham who may be able to give you free auto insurance rate quotes.
These type of agents can only place business with one company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agencies in Durham that can give you comparison quotes.
Picking an insurance agent should depend on more than just the quoted price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How long has the business existed?
Once you have satisfactory answers to your questions and a low price estimate, it’s a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that will provide auto insurance coverage. But keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can terminate your policy whenever you choose to so don’t feel you are locked into any specific agency for the full term.
Auto insurance company ratings
Finding the top auto insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Durham. The ranking data listed below could help you pick which car insurance companies to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
Smart shoppers get results
Budget-conscious Buick Rainier insurance is possible online and from local agencies, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not provide internet price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
You just read quite a bit of information on how to save on Buick Rainier insurance in Durham. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional information can be found at these links:
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Durham Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for First-time Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for High School Students in Durham? (FAQ)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)