To save the most money, the best way to get budget Saturn Sky insurance in Durham is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in North Carolina. You can shop around by following these steps.
Step 1: Spend some time learning about coverages and the steps you can take to keep rates low. Many rating factors that cause high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a bad credit score can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Read the full article for information to help prevent high rates and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find better rates, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the new company. Once coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare identical coverage information on every quote and to quote with all possible companies. Doing this enables a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
Sad but true, over 70% of consumers have bought car insurance from the same company for at least four years, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. The average driver in the United States could save $860 a year, but they just don’t understand how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
How to get cheap Saturn Sky insurance in Durham, North Carolina
Finding a better price on car insurance is an easy way to save money. Consumers just need to take time to compare rates online from several insurance companies.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Durham, NC. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the lowest price.
Do you qualify for discounts on Saturn Sky insurance in Durham?
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be applied when you purchase, but some must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Club Memberships – Being in a civic or occupational organization in Durham can get you a small discount on your bill.
- Low Miles Discount – Fewer annual miles on your Saturn can earn substantially lower rates.
- Multi-line Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Government Employee Discount – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to enroll and complete driver’s education in high school.
- Paper-free Discount – A few larger online companies will give a small break for buying your policy on your computer.
- Telematics Data Discounts – People who choose to allow companies to track driving habits by installing a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might get better premium rates as long as the data is positive.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
A list of companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- Travelers offers discounts including home ownership, save driver, payment discounts, good student, and early quote.
- 21st Century includes discounts for defensive driver, homeowners, driver training, teen driver, air bags, and theft prevention.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good driver, student away at school, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO has discounts for seat belt use, driver training, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, and military active duty.
- SAFECO offers discounts for safe driver, drive less, teen safe driver, multi-car, and anti-theft.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good student, AAA membership discount, multi-car, good driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, and education and occupation.
When comparing rates, check with each company or agent the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in Durham. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies offering insurance discounts in Durham, click this link.
Insurance is available from local agents
A lot of people still like to sit down and talk to an agent. Insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Durham that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good company requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Durham should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
Two different types of auto insurance agents
If you want to use a reliable insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance agents in Durham may be either independent or exclusive. Either one can provide insurance policies, but it’s worth learning how they are different since it can affect buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so they really need to provide good service. They receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some insured continue to buy insurance from these agents mainly due to the prominence of the brand rather than low price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: M A Mansour
1209 University Dr – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 797-0135 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Caufield Agency
4845 Industry Ln Ste D – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 493-7471 – View Map
- Farm Bureau Insurance
4021 Stirrup Creek Dr #220a – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 469-3191 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you absolutely need to get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most independent agents also contract with smaller companies that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Shown below are Durham independent insurance agencies that are able to give price quote information.
- Insurance People-N Carolina
1920 Front St # 750 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 383-0442 – View Map
- Bowen Agency, Inc.
4905 Pine Cone Dr Suite 5 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 929-4222 – View Map
- Tyson Insurance
3814 N Duke St # A – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 471-8222 – View Map
Saturn Sky Insurance Premiums Can Be Reduced
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in much lower annual insurance costs. Lots of things are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although some other factors are more transparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
Companies want multiple policies – The majority of insurance companies apply better rates to customers that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most.
Increase coverage deductibles and save – Coverage for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. A few examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more expense you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Pleasure use saves money – The higher the miles on your Saturn annually the higher your rate. Most insurance companies charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos that do not get driven very much get more affordable rates than cars that get driven a lot. A policy that improperly rates your Sky is just wasting money. It’s a good idea to make sure your policy is showing annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Liability coverage risk factors – Your policy’s liability coverage will afford coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Prices may be lower depending on your employer – Occupational choices like lawyers, business owners, and accountants have higher rates than average due to high stress and lengthy work days. Other careers such as professors, engineers and retirees pay the least.
Claim-free discounts can add up – If you file a lot of claims you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in North Carolina generally give cheaper rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is designed for the large, substantial claims.
Never let your insurance policy lapse – Letting your insurance expire will be a fast way to pay more for insurance. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance could earn you fines or a revoked license.
Five star IIHS safety rating saves money – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts and cheaper rates on your policy. If the Saturn Sky is rated at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
Insuring your Saturn Sky just makes sense
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Sky, most banks will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Saturn at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Car insurance protects not only your Saturn Sky but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Sky more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. But the average driver in North Carolina is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Best auto insurance company in North Carolina
Picking a good quality car insurance company can be a challenge considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Durham. The company information listed below may help you analyze which car insurance companies to look at putting your business with.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 91%
- AAA Insurance – 90%
- Esurance – 90%
- Nationwide – 89%
- Travelers – 88%
- Progressive – 88%
- Safeco Insurance – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
- The Hartford – 87%
Drivers who switch companies do it for many reasons like high prices, being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal or denial of a claim. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Cheaper Saturn Sky insurance in Durham can be found online and with local Durham insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not provide online rate quotes and usually these smaller companies only sell through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, someone dropped full coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford.
Additional learning opportunities
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Durham? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Learners Permit in Durham? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)