We don’t have to point out that fact that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Drivers who shop around annually are inclined to buy a different policy because there is a good chance of finding a cheaper policy. A study showed that consumers who shopped around annually saved as much as $865 annually compared to other drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding discount rates on Toyota Prius Prime insurance is the reason you’re here, then learning a little about how to shop for cheaper coverage can make it easier for you to save money.
The best way to get budget Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Durham is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers in North Carolina.
- Read about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as speeding and a substandard credit history can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article gives tips to prevent rate hikes and get bigger discounts.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate in Durham. If you find a lower rate, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get quotes from as many carriers as you can. This enables a level playing field and a good representation of prices.
If you have insurance now, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using these methods. Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Durham is easy if you know what you’re doing. Although North Carolina consumers must know the way companies price online insurance because rates are impacted by many factors.
Companies offering affordable Toyota Prius Prime prices in Durham, NC
The companies shown below provide quotes in Durham, NC. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to find the cheapest rates.
You may qualify for discounts for Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Durham
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you can get discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Certain credits will be shown at quote time, but some must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Driver Education Discount – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Good Grades Discount – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Seniors may receive better car insurance rates.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not all car insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower price if you buy auto and life insurance together.
Policy discounts save money, but some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that it’s possible to get free car insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for federal employee, membership and employees, military active duty, seat belt use, daytime running lights, and air bags.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for annual mileage, location of vehicle, low natural disaster claims, anti-theft, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include mature driver, multi-car, bundle discounts, electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, early shopping, and pay in full.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including good student, safe vehicle, paid in full, teen driver, anti-lock brakes, group or association, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for hybrid vehicle, good student, safety features, new move discount, and new vehicle discount.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for homeowner, drive less, accident prevention training, multi-car, teen safe driver, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, and online quote discount.
- USAA discounts include new vehicle, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, vehicle storage, multi-policy, and loyalty savings.
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Savings may not apply to policyholders in Durham. If you would like to view car insurance companies that offer discounts in Durham, click here to view.
Eight Things That Impact Your Insurance Costs
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. When you understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices. Lots of factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, although some other factors are less apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
The itemized list below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate prices.
- Vehicle theft costs us all – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help stop your vehicle from being stolen.
- Type of car determines base prices – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in your premium level. Low performance passenger models generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Younger drivers cost more – Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Inexperience drivers are proven to be less responsible with other occupants in the car and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Bad credit will cost you – Credit history can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit score can be improved, you may save money insuring your Toyota Prius Prime by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Remove unneeded extra policy coverages – There are many extra coverages that can waste your money but may not be useful. Insurance for personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and term life insurance are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
- Premiums for guys may be higher – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. They both get in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species tend to have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get ticketed for serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Males from age 16 to 21 generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Car plus home equals more savings – Lots of companies afford better rates to insureds that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to as much as ten percent or more If you currently are using one company, you still need to compare other Durham Prius Prime insurance rates to verify if the discount is saving money. Consumers may save even more by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Liability coverage will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Do I need an agent?
A small number of people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents in Durham that give free quotes to get your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance provider, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good provider should depend on more than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Durham?
- How are they compensated?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
If you want to buy insurance from local Durham agents, it’s important to understand the types of agencies that you can choose from. Agents are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide one company’s prices like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Durham that can give you comparison quotes.
Independent Insurance Agencies
These agents do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage amongst many companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If they quote lower rates, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, you will definitely want to include a few independent agents to have the best price comparison.
The following is a list of independent agents in Durham that are able to give comparison quotes.
Reliable Insurance Agency of North Carolina Inc.
3325 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd #200 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 864-9048 – View Map
North Carolina auto insurance company ratings
Selecting a highly-rated auto insurance provider can be difficult considering how many choices you have in North Carolina. The company ratings listed below could help you select which insurers to look at when shopping around.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Be persistent to save money
We just covered a lot of information how to reduce Toyota Prius Prime insurance prices online in Durham. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding the cheapest Toyota Prius Prime rate quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Some insurance companies may not have online quoting and most of the time these smaller providers work with independent agents. Budget-friendly insurance in Durham can be purchased on the web and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone dropped physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the lowest possible cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional information is located at the links below
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Explorer in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Seniors in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in Durham? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)