Truthfully, the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from companies who sell insurance in Durham.
- Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of how companies set rates and the steps you can take to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a bad credit score can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Later in this article we will cover more ideas to help prevent high rates and find possible discounts that are available.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on TLX insurance. If you can save some money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
The most important part of shopping around is to use the same level of coverage on each quote request and and to compare every company you can. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
It’s safe to assume that insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper rates are highly likely to move their business because they stand a good chance of finding good coverage at a lower price. A study showed that consumers who regularly compared price quotes saved on average $72 a month compared to those who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the best rates on insurance is the reason you’re here, then having some insight into the best ways to find and compare coverages can help simplify the process.
If you have insurance now, you should be able to find better prices using the ideas you’re about to read. Pricing affordable policy in Durham can be fairly easy. But North Carolina vehicle owners can benefit from knowing how the larger insurance companies determine what you pay and use this information to your advantage.
Discounts for lower-cost auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there are discounts available that can help lower your rates. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Save over 55 – Seniors may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- ABS Brakes – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Renewal Discounts – Select insurance companies give a discount for switching companies before your current expiration date. You can save around 10% with this discount.
Just know that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for good student, youthful driver, 55 and retired, multi-vehicle, renewal discount, driver training, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may include discounts for anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, and defensive driving training.
- Progressive includes discounts for good student, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- Allstate has savings for resident student, 55 and retired, eSmart discount, anti-lock brakes, and farm vehicle.
- Nationwide offers discounts for defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, multi-policy, anti-theft, and good student.
- MetLife may offer discounts for claim-free, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, multi-policy, good driver
If you need inexpensive Durham car insurance quotes, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in your area.
The best way to compare car insurance company rates for Acura TLX insurance in Durham is to understand almost all companies have advanced systems to provide you with a free rate quote. To get started, all you need to do is provide details such as daily mileage, if the car is leased, whether or not you need a SR-22, and your occupation. Those rating factors is instantly sent to multiple insurance providers and you get price estimates very quickly.
To find lower lower-cost Acura TLX insurance rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Durham.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Durham, NC. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Durham Insurance Premiums are Influenced by These Factors
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing the rating factors that play a part in calculating your insurance rates. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get big savings. Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although others are more obscure such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
Vehicle options can affect prices – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
High coverage deductibles lower prices – The deductibles you choose state the amount of money you are required to pay if you file a covered claim. Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, damage caused by hail, and having a roll-over accident. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Do you really need the incidental coverages? – There are a ton of additional extra coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Coverages for rental car reimbursement, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are some examples. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
Cheaper rates for prior coverage – Having a gap between insurance policy dates can be a quick way to pay more for insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage could earn you fines or a revoked license.
Acura TLX claim data – Auto insurance companies study historical loss data to calculate a price that will offset any claims. Models that statistically have higher losses will have higher premium rates. The table below shows the collected loss data for Acura TLX vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is set at 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Acura TLX 4dr 2WD||90||75||97||93||74||77|
|Acura TLX 4dr 4WD||120||75|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Getting quotes from local Durham insurance agencies
Many drivers still prefer to have an agent’s advice and that can be a smart move A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheaper prices but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is important especially in Durham.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that provide free Durham car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can find better rates and work with a local agent. If you need to compare prices from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you need to find a reliable insurance agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Durham can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are normally appointed by many insurers so they can write business amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent. When comparison shopping, we recommend you include rate quotes from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison. They often place coverage with smaller regional carriers that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agents in Durham who may provide price quote information.
- The Insurance Pros, Inc.
1210 Cole Mill Rd Suite 101 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 294-6613 – View Map
- Superior Insurance Durham North
3808 Guess Rd Suite J – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 973-1507 – View Map
- Knox Insurance Agency
200 Meredith Dr Suite 104 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 313-6411 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide one company’s prices such as Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. They are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mainly due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Durham that can give you price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Cody Holliday
4324 S Alston Ave – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 249-7291 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance Agent: Ella Latreille
2005 N Pointe Dr Ste 3 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 479-2077 – View Map
- Tracey Stidham – State Farm Insurance Agent
3622 Shannon Rd #102 – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 401-6147 – View Map
Deciding on an auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Durham?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
Why you need auto insurance
Even though it can be expensive, buying auto insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your TLX has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Acura at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Ratings for North Carolina car insurance companies
Buying coverage from a good quality auto insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies sell insurance in North Carolina. The company rank data shown next can help you choose which coverage providers to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
Don’t give up on affordable premiums
Low-cost Acura TLX insurance in Durham can be purchased both online in addition to many Durham insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not offer rates over the internet and many times these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We just presented many ways to compare Acura TLX insurance auto insurance rates in Durham. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Durham car insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding the cheapest Acura TLX rate quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best auto insurance rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
More information is available at the links below
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Durham Car Insurance Quotes for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Postal Workers in Durham? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)