No normal person enjoys paying for insurance, in particular when the cost is too high.
Sadly, most insurance customers have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and nearly 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Consumers in Durham can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they don’t believe the benefits if they switched.
How to find the cheapest rates for Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham
If you want to save money, the best way to get affordable car insurance rates in Durham is to compare prices annually from insurers in North Carolina. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how car insurance works and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like speeding and a substandard credit history can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for information to help prevent costly coverage and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Second, compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is that you use the same level of coverage on each price quote and and to get rates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a thorough selection of prices.
Due to the large number of companies to choose from that have cheaper insurance for a Dodge Grand Caravan in Durham, it can be impossible to find the right insurer.
It’s a good idea to do price comparisons quite often because prices fluctuate regularly. Just because you had the lowest price on Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you’re going to learn the quickest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Finding affordable car insurance coverage in Durham can be made easier if you know where to look. If you are insured now, you should be able to cut your premiums using the tips covered below. But North Carolina vehicle owners must learn the way companies determine premium rates and apply this information to your search.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but others are less apparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
- Pay lower prices if you’re married – Having a spouse actually saves money on your policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Good drivers pay better costs – A bad driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Even a single chargeable violation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Drivers who get dangerous tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may need to prove financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
The information below shows how violations and fender-benders can drive up Dodge Grand Caravan annual premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The premiums assume a single male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
- Incidental coverages you don’t use – Policies have additional coverages that can waste your money but may not be useful. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, towing, and Farm Bureau memberships are probably not needed. The coverages may be enticing when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
- When should you file auto insurance claims? – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in North Carolina give most affordable rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is intended for more catastrophic claims.
- Prices impacted by vehicle usage – The more miles you rack up on your Dodge in a year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based upon how much you drive. Autos that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. A policy that improperly rates your Grand Caravan can cost quite a bit. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents lower prices – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Most auto insurance companies afford better rates to people who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still comparison shop to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
Women pay lower prices – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Men and women tend to get into fender benders at a similar rate, but the males tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Dodge Grand Caravan annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no violations or accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Dodge Grand Caravan insurance loss probability – Insurance companies analyze historical claim data when they calculate premium costs for each model. Vehicles that tend to have higher losses will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Dodge Grand Caravan vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as a total average, is equal to 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Dodge Grand Caravan Vehicles Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Dodge Grand Caravan 79 104 81 108 108 107BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The most recommended method to get policy rate comparisons for Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham is to know the fact most of the larger companies will pay a fee to provide you with free rate quotes. To get started, all you need to do is give them rating details such as daily mileage, if you require a SR-22, the make and model of your vehicles, and coverage limits. Your insurance information is instantly submitted to all major companies and you should receive rate quotes within a short period of time.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and complete the form.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in North Carolina. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we suggest you get prices from several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Insurance coverage details
The information below covers estimates of insurance premium costs for Dodge Grand Caravan models. Being able to understand how car insurance prices are established is important for you to make smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Caravan CV||$102||$172||$282||$16||$84||$656||$55|
|Grand Caravan SE||$102||$172||$282||$16||$84||$656||$55|
|Grand Caravan Hero||$102||$210||$282||$16||$84||$694||$58|
|Grand Caravan Crew||$116||$210||$282||$16||$84||$708||$59|
|Grand Caravan SXT||$116||$210||$282||$16||$84||$708||$59|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in specific Durham garaging location which can affect prices considerably.
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is which comprehensive and collision deductibles to buy. The comparison tables below determine the difference in cost when you buy lower versus higher physical damage coverage deductibles. The first set of prices uses a $250 physical damage deductible and the second data table uses a $1,000 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Caravan CV||$192||$266||$250||$14||$74||$821||$68|
|Grand Caravan SE||$192||$266||$250||$14||$74||$821||$68|
|Grand Caravan Hero||$192||$324||$250||$14||$74||$879||$73|
|Grand Caravan Crew||$218||$324||$250||$14||$74||$905||$75|
|Grand Caravan SXT||$218||$324||$250||$14||$74||$905||$75|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Caravan CV||$118||$168||$250||$14||$74||$624||$52|
|Grand Caravan SE||$118||$168||$250||$14||$74||$624||$52|
|Grand Caravan Hero||$118||$204||$250||$14||$74||$660||$55|
|Grand Caravan Crew||$134||$204||$250||$14||$74||$676||$56|
|Grand Caravan SXT||$134||$204||$250||$14||$74||$676||$56|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in specific garaging location which can revise price quotes greatly.
Using the premium rates above, we can conclude that using a $250 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $18 more each month or $216 annually than selecting the higher $1,000 deductible. Because you would be required to pay $750 more if you file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to have at a minimum 42 months between claim filings, you would most likely save money if you opt for a higher deductible.
How to determine if a higher deductible is a good idea
|Average monthly premium for $250 deductibles:||$72|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||– $54|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$18|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 – $250):||$750|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$750 / $18|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||42 months|
An important thing to remember is that increasing deductibles to save money results in a higher out-of-pocket expense when you have to file a claim. You need to make sure you have some available funds in the event you need to pay the deductible to have repairs made.
The chart below highlights how deductible selection and can influence Dodge Grand Caravan premium costs for each different age category. The data is based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Grand Caravan insurance premiums when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The costs are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no definitive rule to stop paying for physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Dodge Grand Caravan settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying more than $700 annually for full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Even though it can be expensive, car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Dodge Grand Caravan has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in North Carolina overpays more than $800 each year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Don’t neglect these premium slashing discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may be missing some discounts that you may not know about. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Own a Home – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military could mean lower prices.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying a policy with several vehicles on a single policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Early Switch Discount – Select auto insurance companies give a discount for switching policies early. It could save around 10% when you buy Durham car insurance online.
- Multi-line Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Grand Caravan car insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The costs are based on a male driver, no claims or violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
A few popular companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including continuous insurance, student away at school, IntelliDrive, save driver, driver training, and new car.
- 21st Century discounts include automatic seat belts, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, theft prevention, 55 and older, and driver training.
- State Farm has savings for multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, good driver, multiple policy, and safe vehicle.
- GEICO may include discounts for membership and employees, military active duty, five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, and driver training.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, drive less, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, accident prevention training, and anti-theft.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, good driver, multi-car, multi-policy, and education and occupation.
Before buying, ask all the companies the best way to save money. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area. To locate auto insurance companies who offer cheap Dodge Grand Caravan insurance quotes in North Carolina, click this link.
Insurance agents are professional risk managers
Some people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the benefits of comparing insurance online is you can get cheap insurance quotes and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an provider should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Durham?
- If they are an independent agency in Durham, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Where are claims handled?
- How long has the business existed?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Which family members are covered?
Which is the best car insurance?
Always remember that when buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- How high should deductibles be on a Dodge Grand Caravan?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my Dodge Grand Caravan?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Be persistent to save money
We’ve covered a lot of information how to save on Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding affordable Durham car insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service and even denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason, finding a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Discount Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham is possible on the web as well as from independent agents in Durham, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some companies may not provide price quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
How to find more affordable Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Durham
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get the cheapest Dodge Grand Caravan insurance is to start comparing rates regularly from providers in Durham. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- Read about how car insurance works and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates like speeding tickets, accidents and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel your existing policy. Submit the required down payment along with the signed application for your new policy. When you receive it, put the certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to try to use the same level of coverage on each price quote and to quote with every company you can. This enables a fair price comparison and the best price quote selection.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at these sites:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Toyota Highlander in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers in Durham? (FAQ)
- How Much is Durham Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)