Do you want a faster way to compare more competitive Kia Sorento insurance in Durham? Finding low-cost insurance for a Kia Sorento in North Carolina can turn out to be a painful process, but you can follow a few tricks to make it easier. There is a right way and a wrong way to compare insurance rates and we’ll show you the proper way to compare rates for a new or used Kia and obtain the lowest possible price.
Unthinkable but true, most insurance customers kept their policy with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of customers have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. With the average premium in North Carolina being $980, drivers could save an average of as much as $94 each year, but they underestimate the rate savings if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
It is always a good idea to compare prices on a regular basis because insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best quotes on Kia Sorento insurance in Durham on your last policy you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of wrong information about Sorento insurance out there, but in this article, you’re going to get some tested techniques to stop overpaying for insurance in Durham.
Companies offering Kia Sorento insurance in North Carolina
The companies in the list below offer quotes in Durham, NC. If you want cheap car insurance in Durham, NC, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lower-cost Durham auto insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies don’t list every available discount very well, so the following list contains a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to you.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Passing a course in driver safety may get you a small discount if your company offers it.
- Membership in Organizations – Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations can get you a small discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discount for Good Grades – Maintaining excellent grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- College Student Discount – College-age children who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck. Any amount of discount will positively reduce your policy cost.
The best auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are outlined below.
- GEICO includes discounts for military active duty, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, and multi-policy.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for student away at school, paperless, air bags, safe driver, teen driver, mature driver, and good student.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including mySafetyValet, accident-free, air bags, good student, good driver, multi-vehicle, and Steer into Savings.
- Esurance has savings for emergency road assistance, multi-policy, good driver, defensive driver, and DriveSense.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- State Farm offers discounts for safe vehicle, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, good student, student away at school, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-car, multi-policy, good student, anti-theft, pay-in-full, and good driver.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. For a list of auto insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in North Carolina, follow this link.
Five Tips to Get Cheaper Durham Insurance Rates
When buying insurance it’s important to understand the different types of things that help calculate the price you pay for insurance. If you know what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower premium levels. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other factors are more transparent like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
The list below includes most of the major factors used by your company to calculate premiums.
Save money by raising coverage deductibles – Your deductibles are how much the insured will be required to pay if the claim is covered. Insurance for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Some coverage claims could be rear-ending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The higher the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Only buy coverage you need – There are a lot of extra add-on coverages you can purchase when buying insurance. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and membership fees are some examples. These coverages may sound good at first, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
A good credit rating can save money – Your credit history is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Kia Sorento by improving your rating. Insureds with excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with lower ratings.
No insurance policy gaps is important – Not having insurance can get your license suspended and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage might get you fines and jail time.
Gender impacts premiums – Over time, data shows women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Males and females get in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
Insurance loss data for Kia Sorento vehicles – Companies use historical loss data as a tool for profitable underwriting. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher frequency or amount of claims will cost more for specific coverages. The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Kia Sorento vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles combined as an average is considered to be 100. Numbers below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or larger claims.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Kia Sorento 4dr 2WD||80||86||82||110||111||94|
|Kia Sorento 4dr 4WD||85||87||101||97||98||85|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance agents near you
Some consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. An additional benefit of comparing auto insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to participating agents in Durham that give free quotes to get your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you wish to get a price quote for a specific company, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding a good insurer shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Where are claims handled?
- How long has their agency been open in Durham?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a local Durham insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Durham are considered either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both write auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know how they are different since it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive insurance agents have only one company to place business with and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. These agents are usually well trained on the products they sell which aids in selling service over price. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents mostly because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following are exclusive agencies in Durham willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: M A Mansour
1209 University Dr – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 797-0135 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Andrew F Jones
5242 Roxboro Rd Ste C – Durham, NC 27712 – (919) 477-7666 – View Map
- Zonya Autmon – State Farm Insurance Agent
2402 S Miami Blvd #103 – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 993-3555 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rates, we highly recommend that you contact a couple of independent agencies to have the most options to choose from. Many can place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of which can save you money.
Listed below are independent insurance agencies in Durham that can give you rate quotes.
- Tyson Insurance
3814 N Duke St # A – Durham, NC 27704 – (919) 471-8222 – View Map
- Knox Insurance Agency
200 Meredith Dr Suite 104 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 313-6411 – View Map
- Insurance Pros: Paradis James
3200 Croasdaile Dr # 603 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 294-6613 – View Map
Cheap insurance rates are available
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, high prices, poor customer service or denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason, switching insurance companies is actually quite simple.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can reduce Kia Sorento insurance prices online in Durham. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Kia Sorento insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
Steps to finding cheaper rates for Kia Sorento insurance in Durham
The preferred way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from different companies who provide auto insurance in Durham.
- It will benefit you to learn about coverages and the factors you can control to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that drive up the price such as high-risk driving behaviors and an imperfect credit score can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper rate is available in Durham. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important part of this process is to make sure you’re comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as possible. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Durham Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in Durham? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)