Truthfully, the best way to get affordable car insurance rates in Durham is to compare quotes once a year from companies that sell auto insurance in North Carolina.
- Take a little time to learn about how insurance works and the modifications you can make to prevent rate increases. Many factors that drive up the price like distracted driving and a poor credit rating can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new policy. Make sure you place the new proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
One thing to remember is that you use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes are very likely to switch car insurance companies because they stand a good chance of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent survey found that drivers who compared prices regularly saved an average of $3,400 over four years compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If saving money on Lexus RC 300 insurance is the reason you’re reading this, learning how to choose a company and compare insurance rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
To find the best insurance rates, there are several ways to compare prices from all the different companies. By far the easiest way to compare rates is simply to get online rate quotes.
Just remember that comparing a wide range of rates helps you find better pricing.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Durham, NC. To get the best cheap car insurance in NC, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Don’t neglect these discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. Some discounts will apply when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Membership in Organizations – Joining a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers that enable driving data collection to track driving patterns by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Driver’s Ed – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them complete a driver education course in high school.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple cars or trucks with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Life Insurance Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give a lower car insurance rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Options like air bags may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a driver safety class could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active deployment in the military could mean lower prices.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Larger car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for professional/association, annual mileage, good driver, location of vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for early shopping, pay in full, alternative fuel, homeowner, and bundle discounts.
- Farm Bureau has savings for safe driver, renewal discount, good student, multi-policy, 55 and retired, driver training, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, Drive Safe & Save, good driver, accident-free, and good student.
- Allstate has discounts for farm vehicle, senior citizen, utility vehicle, safe driver, resident student, and new car.
- GEICO offers discounts for five-year accident-free, membership and employees, good student, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, air bags, and multi-policy.
Double check with all the companies to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts might not apply in your area.
You Can Change Your Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the things that are used to determine the price you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you big savings.
How much liability insurance do you need? – The liability section of your policy will protect you if you are responsible for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Low credit score equals high costs – Having a bad credit score will be a significant factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit rating is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Lexus RC 300 if you clean up your credit. Drivers who have very good credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with poor credit scores.
Premiums and job – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupational choices like doctors, social workers, and miners tend to have the highest rates in part from intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. Other jobs such as professors, athletes and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
Safety first – Safe vehicles cost less to insure. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders.
Car insurance agents can help
Many drivers would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases A good thing about comparing auto insurance online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and also buy local.
By using this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Durham who can give free rate quotes for your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to quote rates from one company in particular, just visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an company should depend on more than just a cheap quote. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the agent help file claims?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in North Carolina?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
Two types of car insurance agents
When finding a reliable insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Durham agents are classified as either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand legacy rather than having the cheapest rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Durham willing to provide rate quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Andrew F Jones
5242 Roxboro Rd Ste C – Durham, NC 27712 – (919) 477-7666 – View Map
- Ken Carver – State Farm Insurance Agent
2905 Guess Rd #2 – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 471-0011 – View Map
- NC Farm Bureau Insurance
2902 S Miami Blvd Ste A – Durham, NC 27703 – (919) 544-4953 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most can insure with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can save you money.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Durham that can give you rate quotes.
- Around The Corner Insurance Agency, Inc.
1431 Broad St – Durham, NC 27705 – (919) 286-9500 – View Map
- Mike Embree Insurance Agency
3813 University Dr – Durham, NC 27707 – (919) 489-7336 – View Map
- Knox Insurance Agency
200 Meredith Dr Suite 104 – Durham, NC 27713 – (919) 313-6411 – View Map
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Do I need to call my car insurance company before buying a new car?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
A conclusion for your auto insurance search
You just learned some good ideas how you can shop for Lexus RC 300 insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as high prices, delays in responding to claim requests, delays in paying claims or even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right auto insurance provider is less work than it seems.
When you buy Durham car insurance online, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To learn more, feel free to browse the resources below:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Toyota Highlander in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Seniors in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male in Durham? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)