A study showed that about 70% of customers have purchased from the same company for over three years, and nearly half have never even compared rates from other companies. Durham insurance shoppers could cut their rates by $90 a year, but they don’t believe how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
The easiest way to save on Saturn Astra insurance in Durham is to start doing an annual price comparison from providers who sell auto insurance in North Carolina. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about what is in your policy and the measures you can take to keep rates down. Many factors that result in higher rates like your driving record and an unacceptable credit score can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Read the full article for instructions to prevent expensive rate increases and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies. Get quotes now
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for the new policy. Once coverage is bound, place your new proof of insurance certificate with the vehicle registration.
An important part of this process is to make sure you’re comparing similar coverage information on each quote and and to get quotes from every company you can. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
Quoting and comparing the best-priced insurance policy in Durham is actually quite simple. If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can use these techniques to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage. You just have to use the best way to get comparison rates from many different companies online.
Most companies give prices on the web. This process can be done by anyone as all you need to do is type in your required coverages into the form. Upon sending the form, the system orders credit information and your driving record and generates a price. Using the web to get price quotes for Saturn Astra insurance in Durham makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it’s also necessary to have as many quotes as possible if you want to get cheap rates.
To quickly find out if lower rates are available, check out the auto insurance providers below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you replicate deductibles and limits as shown on your current policy. This makes sure you will have a fair comparison based on identical coverages.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in North Carolina. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Durham, NC, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Insuring your Saturn Astra just makes sense
Despite the high cost, paying for car insurance is required in North Carolina but it also protects you in many ways.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to be legal. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will force you to carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Saturn for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your Saturn. It will also cover medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Astra more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. The average driver in North Carolina is overpaying more than $825 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Determine discounts on Durham car insurance
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one insurance company you may earn up to 20% and get you cheap Astra insurance.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your car insurance provider.
- Discount for Good Grades – Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
We need to note that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any amount of discount should help lower the amount you pay for coverage.
Auto insurance companies that may have most of these discounts include:
Check with each company how you can save money. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Durham. To see providers with the best discounts in North Carolina, click here to view.
Compare prices but buy from a local Durham insurance agent
Some people still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help you file claims. The best thing about comparing car insurance online is that you can obtain lower rates and also buy local. Buying from small agencies is important particularly in Durham.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Durham that can provide free Durham car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. You don’t have to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. If you wish to get a rate quote for a specific company, just jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
When looking for a local Durham insurance agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Agents in Durham can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the subtle differences because it can factor into your agent selection.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, your policy is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
When comparing car insurance rates, you definitely need to include price quotes from several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
The following are Durham independent agencies that can give you price quote information.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a list of exclusive agencies in Durham that can give you comparison quotes.
Finding a good insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Is the agent properly licensed in North Carolina?
- Which family members are covered?
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When choosing coverage for your vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. You are unique.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Durham car insurance companies ranked
Insuring your vehicle with the right company is hard considering how many different companies sell coverage in Durham. The company ratings listed below may help you decide which coverage providers you want to consider putting your business with.
Top 10 Durham Car Insurance Companies Overall
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, questionable increases in premium and not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, finding a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We’ve covered many tips how you can lower your Saturn Astra insurance prices in Durham. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
There are still a few companies who do not offer rate quotes online and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agents. Cheap Saturn Astra insurance in Durham is definitely available both online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Additional insurance information can be read at the links below
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Durham Auto Insurance Rates for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Mazda CX-7 in Durham? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Durham Car Insurance Rates for Felons? (FAQ)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)